- 3 May 2011:The worldwide mobile phone market grew 19.8% on year in the first quarter of 2011 fueled by high smartphone growth, especially in emerging markets, and gains made by market challengers, according to IDC.
- 27 Apr 2011:Mobile phone maker Nokia has announced it will shed 4,000 jobs as part of a plan to refocus the company on smartphones. Nokia said the majority of the job losses would be in Denmark, Finland and the UK.
- 21 Apr 2011:Nokia, the struggling market leader in mobile phones, has said that it intended to cut costs by nearly 20% over three years, a move that will likely eliminate thousands of jobs as it enters an alliance with Microsoft.
- 14 Apr 2011:Intel has designed a handset that may be manufactured by China's ZTE, according to people with knowledge of the plan. The phone, based on a version of Intel's Atom microprocessor, may go on sale in China.
- 12 Apr 2011:Nokia workers are bracing for what may be the steepest job cuts in almost two decades as the company prepares to start a partnership with Microsoft. A reduction in R&D activities is set to be announced by the end of April, with as many as 6,000 jobs under threat.
- 15 Mar 2011:Rumors circulated that Apple may have chosen to TSMC as their new fab in response to new competition from Samsung in the handset and tablet space. Based on analysis performed by UBM TechInsights Lab and Process Analysis personnel, we can say that the A5 in our possession is definitely manufactured by Samsung using their 45nm process.
- 9 Mar 2011:Korean carrier SK Telecom announced earlier this week that it will launch Apple's CDMA iPhone 4 on March 16, making it the first international network to carry the handset.
- 1 Mar 2011:The Motorola Droid Pro is a fair approximation of a BlackBerry handset, minus the inferior keyboard and the fact that it doesn't come close to matching Research In Motion's security measures.
- 21 Feb 2011:CSR and Zoran have entered into a merger agreement under which Zoran will merge with CSR for an equity value equivalent to approximately US$679 million. The merged company will provide differentiated, integrated technology that addresses the rapidly-growing market for connected, location-aware multimedia devices including handsets, digital cameras and home entertainment equipment.
- 15 Feb 2011:Intel has announced that the company is sampling its 32nm "Medfield" handset chip with customers. Scheduled for introduction this year, the Medfield chip will extend the performance benefits of Intel architecture into a low-power solution specifically designed for the smartphone market segment.
- 12 Jan 2011:Analysis was sparked by a Morgan Stanley survey suggesting that Nokia could have sold 2.5 million N8 smartphones during Q410, and 9 million in 2011. The survey included 150 handset retailers in 5 countries across Europe.
- 29 Dec 2010:RIM allegedly doubted Apple's ability to produce the original iPhone when the first-gen handset was initially announced, then thrown into panic after teardowns of the smartphone revealed the company had managed to produce a full-touch device with market-ready battery life.
- 7 Dec 2010:Samsung is a big beneficiary of Android's rise, selling more than 3 million Galaxy S phones, and capturing the mantle as leading Android handset provider in the U.S. by accounting for a third of all Android phones sold in the country.
- 1 Dec 2010:Motorola announced that its split into two separate companies will become effective Jan 4, when the company will change its name to Motorola Solutions. The handset division will be called Motorola Mobility Holdings.
- 26 Nov 2010:NTT DoCoMo, Japan's top mobile carrier, is aggressively promoting rival smartphone offerings such as Samsung Electronics' Galaxy handset.
- 12 Nov 2010:Engadget has published what it claims are photos of the unannounced, unreleased Nexus S Android handset from Samsung.
- 10 Nov 2010:
- 29 Oct 2010:Apple becomes fourth largest handset maker by volumes, says IDC
- 13 Oct 2010:
- 30 Sep 2010:IDC's India quarterly mobile handsets tracker 2Q 2010 is out with some interesting trends (Sep 28) - Tec2.com IndiaThe study found that Dual- and Triple-SIM card slot phones have grown to touch as much as 38.5% of the total India Mobile Handset shipments, from less than 1% in 2Q 2009 (April-June 2009 quarter).
- 28 Sep 2010:Finnish handset manufacturer Nokia could have achieved dominance over the smartphone market, if its executives hadn't rejected the first smartphone.
- 9 Sep 2010:Anadigics has announced that its AWT6264 power amplifier drives the WiMAX connectivity in Samsung's recently-released Epic 4G handset.
- 20 Aug 2010:ZTE Corp., China's second-biggest maker of telephone equipment, is expanding in the US with an agreement to sell a handset through Verizon Wireless.
- 10 Aug 2010:
- 2 Aug 2010:Two Gulf states have announced bans on some functions of the Blackberry mobile phone, claiming security concerns. The United Arab Emirates is to block sending emails, accessing the internet, and delivering instant messages to other Blackberry handsets. Saudi Arabia is to prevent the use of the Blackberry to Blackberry instant messaging service.
- 21 Jul 2010:A video-heavy Web site that Apple set up in the wake of the antenna controversy, showed footage of the extensive internal tests that Apple says have been the fruits of the $100 million it's invested in "advanced antenna design and test labs."
- 13 Jul 2010:The SYA1022 controller offers increased functionality, improved power efficiency and lower production cost in a smaller form factor, ideal for embedding into mobile and handheld devices such as handsets and notebooks. Engineering samples are immediately available with production quantities available in September 2010.
- 25 Jun 2010:BlackBerry maker Research In Motion on Thursday posted a 20% increase in first-quarter profit, but sales and handset shipments fell below Wall Street's forecast.
- 11 Jun 2010:Fujitsu and Toshiba are in talks to combine mobile-phone operations and create Japan's second-largest handset producer, two officials at the companies said.
- 7 Jun 2010:A reported visit by Tim Cook, Apple's chief operating officer, to LG Display last month has prompted speculation that the world's second-largest maker of liquid crystal displays may supply the display panels for the new 4G iPhone.
- 26 May 2010:
- 13 May 2010:The patent wars are raging in the mobile device market, and they could result in rising costs for handset makers and higher gadget prices for wireless carriers and consumers.
- 10 May 2010:LG Electronics warned that profits at its struggling handset division would be slow to recover, as it retools its business to introduce Android-based devices in a fast-growing, high-end smartphone segment, including new models for Verizon.
- 21 Apr 2010:
- 15 Apr 2010:After the telecom services players, it's the handset manufacturers' turn to eye the growing Rs 50,000 crore handset market in India.
- 13 Apr 2010:
- Elpida Memory has filed a lawsuit in the US against Infineon Technologies and Best Buy, in response to a complaint filed earlier brought against it.
- 12 Apr 2010:
- 9 Apr 2010:In much of the world, ZTE is better known as a maker of telecom networking equipment and data cards than cellphones. But research firm iSuppli says the Shenzhen-based company shipped enough phones during the last quarter to break into the top group of handset makers, displacing Motorola.
- EverFocus showcasing integration at Secutech 2014
- MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING - built to be perfect
- Tatung aggressively expanding in Middle East: Smart energy-saving solutions showcased at Middle East Electricity 2014
- Fortrend Liquid Diamond layer provides anti-germ capability 4 times that of untreated glass
- W Hotel chooses EverFocus as a preferred Security System Provider
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone vendors rely on international brands for overseas expansion
- Digitimes Research: Google to get the brunt of dual OS tablets while Microsoft to benefit the most
- Digitimes Research: Cortex-A17 to take over ARM high-end/mid-range 32-bit business
- A win-win situation for Toshiba and OCZ: Q&A with Alex Mei, CMO of OCZ Storage Solutions
- Is a US$25 smartphone possible?
- Intel unveils latest Education Tablet and Classmate PC
- AMD offers new 12- and 16-core additions to Opteron 6300 series
- CES 2014: Samsung unveils 12-inch tablet lineups
- CES 2014: HP unveils new 27-inch all-in-one workstation and new Android-based all-in-one PC
- CES 2014: LG unveils new wearable innovations
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...