- 16 Nov 2011:Next up on the 2011 Europe Financial Calamity tour?
- The largest trade show and conference for embedded system designers and managers will be held in Yokohama, Japan, from November 16-18.
- 12 Nov 2011:Both IBM and Samsung are well on their way to exceed the number of the patents they received in 2010 - when IBM got 5896 and Samsung 4551.
- 9 Nov 2011:LED supplier Universal Display Corp posted a third-quarter profit, gainsaying loss expectations, as revenue more than tripled, and forecast full-year revenue above expectation, sending its shares up 8% in extended trade.
- 8 Nov 2011:Enterprise IT spending will stagger and fall this year but may back on one leg in 2012 despite swingeing public sector cuts and the looming Eurozone financial catastrophe.
- 28 Oct 2011:Nintendo predicts first annual loss in 30 years on yen, 3DS (October 27) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Nintendo has forecast its first annual loss in at least 30 years after the yen reached a postwar high and the new 3DS console had weaker-than-expected sales.
- 25 Oct 2011:UniPixel to participate at Flat Panel Display Conference in Japan on October 26-28, 2011 (October 24) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)UniPixel, Inc. will showcase its UniBoss Performance Engineered Film(TM) technology and products at the Flat Panel Display (FPD) Conference to be held at Yokohama Pacifico Convention Plaza in Japan from Oct. 26-28, 2011.
- 21 Oct 2011:Many next generation products from the display industry designed to overcome the recession, caught the attention of the spectators. Components and equipment manufacturers also were busy enthusiastically showing their new technology to foreign buyers.
- 20 Oct 2011:The US economy plodded on with "modest" growth in September the Federal Reserve reported on Wednesday, describing restrained hiring and a still-weak housing market
- 14 Oct 2011:Sony Ericsson broke even in its third quarter and announced it will solely focus on smartphones from next year.
- 13 Oct 2011:The 2011 shipments of flat panel TVs in India are expected to grow from 5.5M units in 2011 to 20.8M units in 2015, a CAGR of 39%, according to DisplaySearch.
- Consumers who picked up a Panasonic Viera TV last year can now upgrade their IPTV software to match 2011 models.
- 12 Oct 2011:
- 11 Oct 2011:In January, AT&T announced plans to introduce 12 Android devices in 2011 and today AT&T confirmed that goal has been met and will be exceeded during the fourth quarter.
- 6 Oct 2011:The hype for 3D content and devices pumped up through 2010 has steadily deflated through 2011 as expectations have been punctured by predictable barriers to adoption: screen price, consumer ambivalence about 3D glasses, gimmicky use of 3D by Hollywood studios, and lack of investment in 3D from broadcasters.
- 4 Oct 2011:Infineon Technologies may scale back its investment plans amid a slowdown in the chip sector and as demand falls due to the uncertain economic climate, according to CEO Peter Bauer.
- 3 Oct 2011:The Consumer Decision Process: Summer Update shows that this growth means that a quarter of US broadband households intend to purchase an Internet-connectable CE device in 2011.
- 30 Sep 2011:Number of consumers planning to purchase a smart TV nearly doubles in 2011 (September 29) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)The number of U.S. consumers planning to purchase a smart TV has nearly doubled in less than a year, according to new consumer research from Parks Associates.
- 29 Sep 2011:Corning announced that it expects an overall 35% year-over-year decline in equity earnings from its two main joint-ventures - Samsung Corning and Dow Corning in third quarter of 2011, because of lower volumes at Samsung Corning due to the lower-than-expected LCD panel maker utilization rates.
- 27 Sep 2011:Australia's internet TV advertising market set to grow 476% in five years (September 25) - Rapid TV NewsThe Australian internet TV advertising industry is set to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 42% from 2011 to 2016, increasing in value from A$54m to $311m according to analyst firm Frost & Sullivan.
- Televisions in 2011 have taken 2010's hot trends--3D, Internet apps, and LED lighting technology for LCD sets--and made them better and cheaper.
- 19 Sep 2011:
- 9 Sep 2011:
- Texas Instruments has narrowed and lowered its expected ranges for revenue and earnings per share (EPS) for the third quarter of 2011. The reductions are due to broadly lower demand across a wide range of products, markets and customers.
- 8 Sep 2011:Sony is using CEDIA Expo 2011 here this week to unveil several new high-end ES-series products that are said to achieve new performance excellence levels for the custom and A/V specialty markets.
- 6 Sep 2011:Semico Research now expects chip sales to decline 2% compared to 2010. It previously forecast that the chip market would grow by 6% in 2011.
- Customers of Novellus have become incrementally more cautious and they have curtailed their expansion plans...
- 25 Aug 2011:
- 13 Aug 2011:Completion of the merger is slated for the second half of 2011.
- 3 Aug 2011:While global semiconductor revenue is projected to expand by 7.2% in 2011, Walden Rhines, chairman and CEO of EDA vendor Mentor Graphics, sounds a note of caution about maintaining this growth in 2012.
- 1 Aug 2011:ARM sounded a note of caution about electronic goods sales this Christmas, even as it announced a better-than-expected second quarter in which its technology, already dominant in smartphones and tablets, was licensed for more and more uses.
- 27 Jul 2011:STMicroelectronics fell the most in a decade in Paris trading after CEO Carlo Bozotti said there will be a "correction" in sales and gross margin in the third quarter because of difficulties at customer Nokia.
- Patent licensing company Rambus made a net loss of US$10.6 million on revenues of US$66.2 million in the second quarter of 2011. However, the company guided that it would be profitable in the third quarter on rising revenues.
- 22 Jul 2011:As of the end of June 2011, it had US$76 billion in cash and investments. No tech company has more.
- 21 Jul 2011:Citing strong global smartphone adoption and the "expanded opportunities" afforded by its completed acquisition of Wi-Fi chipmaker Atheros, Qualcomm also raised its revenue and (non-GAAP) earnings guidance for the rest of the year.
- 18 Jul 2011:Acer dropped from No. 2 to the No. 4 position in the worldwide PC market in the second quarter of 2011, according to Gartner. It had a great deal of inventory in the distribution channel in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region. Acer's problems stemmed from its low-price, high-volume business model, which is no longer effective.
- 13 Jul 2011:"What foundries are seeing more and more, and what we're seeing overall, is a very tight linkage to consumer demand. All of us are disappointed with demand for PCs this year, and tablets probably will be 20 million units short of what people thought was possible for the year..."
- 12 Jul 2011:South Korean consumer electronics giant LG Electronics has slashed its forecast for 2011 smartphone sales as the company struggles to compete against aggressive giants like HTC, Samsung and Apple.
- 1 Jul 2011:"It is a bit surprising that we have not seen a more significant impact on our global IT spending forecast as a results of the Japan earthquake and tsunami, but despite widespread concerns about disruptions to the supply of critical components in the initial aftermath of the natural disaster, there has not been a dramatic impact on overall IT spending," said Richard Gordon, research VP at Gartner.
- Digitimes Research: China vendors ship over 101 million smartphones in 2Q14
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan ships 351.4 million small- to mid-size panels in 2Q14
- Digitimes Research: China sees increased smartphone AP shipments in 2Q14
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan digital camera shipments in 2Q14 up 43.3% sequentially
- ABB and Volvo form global partnership for electric and hybrid bus fast-charging
- Accurate Analysis of Multi-Gigabit Systems Using HSPICE
- GIGABYTE's EasyTune App makes overclocking a breeze on new Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition CPUs
- OAXIS adds a second E Ink screen to your smartphone with launch of InkCase+ on Kickstarter
- Indium announces RMA-155 Pb-Free Solder Paste
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
MediaTek has taken up to 60% of the 3G handset solution market in China, pushing the market value of...
AMD has been reorganizing its businesss, such as moving its desktop business headquarters to Beijing,...
Intel president Renee James, during a recent interview, told Digitimes that the company and its partners...
According to a recent IDC research note, the transition toward mobile and cloud-based computing is...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...