- 16 Oct 2012:French telecom vendor Alcatel-Lucent will cut about 1,000 jobs in India as part of its global restructuring effort to cope with dwindling demand for network equipment among telcos in the country.
- 22 Aug 2012:Japan has reported a wider-than-expected trade deficit in July, as slowing demand from China and Europe weighed on exports.
- 19 Jul 2012:Qualcomm has lowered its forecast of global cellular device shipments for 2012 due to a gloomy economic outlook, though it expects device sales to surge in the fourth quarter because of upcoming products, a likely reference to Apple's iPhone and Microsoft's Windows 8 tablets.
- 12 Jul 2012:Applied Materials revises FY2012 business outlook on lower foundry equipment demand (July 10) - Company releaseThe company also revised its calendar year 2012 industry forecast for wafer fab equipment spending to US$30-33 billion, compared to its previous expectation of US$32-35 billion, in line with the market changes.
- 30 May 2012:FormFactor raised its second-quarter revenue expectations Tuesday, pointing to customer demand across its DRAM and flash memory segments.
- 3 May 2012:German microchip maker Infineon raised its full-year sales outlook after demand for its energy efficiency, mobility and security chips, particularly from the car industry, helped second-quarter results beat expectations.
- 25 Apr 2012:Sandisk's first quarter results were messy and the outlook wasn't much better. The problem: Sandisk is making all the wrong moves and focusing on the wrong customers in the flash memory market.
- 17 Apr 2012:Barclays Capital is raising its total lithography units forecast by more than 10 systems, from 234 to 251 in 2012. As many as 260 litho tools could be purchased for semiconductor manufacturing, as foundries are seeing high demand for 28nm chips.
- 14 Mar 2012:Oil traded near the highest price in two days in New York as investors speculated fuel demand may increase amid signs the US economy is strengthening.
- 13 Mar 2012:The weak demand for TI's wireless products such as smartphones and tablets is mainly in its OMAP applications processors and connectivity products, said TI vice president Ron Slaymaker.
- 9 Mar 2012:
- 30 Jan 2012:Texas Instruments said it would close two older factories in Japan and Texas with 500 workers to cut costs. The company added it saw a broad resumption of demand in December that continued into January.
- 9 Jan 2012:Hard disk drive supplier Seagate Technology has provided a financial update, reiterating that demand for HDD units will exceed supply in 2012 in the wake of flooding last year in Thailand.
- 21 Dec 2011:The strength of the Japanese yen as well as the ongoing European debt crisis have weighed on external demand.
- 19 Dec 2011:South Korea said it's prepared to intervene in markets as the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il clouded the outlook for an economy already faltering on weak export demand.
- 9 Dec 2011:Chipmakers Texas Instruments and Altera have both cut their forecasts for the fourth quarter.
- 8 Dec 2011:Solar power company SunPower Corp. will cut about 125 jobs, or 2 percent of its workforce, as the company faces a global solar power market where prices and demand are stagnating.
- 7 Dec 2011:
- 21 Nov 2011:Japan's exports fell for the first time in three months, indicating that the yen's appreciation and financial turmoil in Europe are slowing the nation's recovery from the March disaster.
- 11 Nov 2011:Maria Marced, European president of TSMC, has pushed back against claims by market researchers at Gartner that foundries are having problems with yield on 28nm process technologies. For TSMC the roll out of the 28nm chip manufacturing node is "on plan," Marced told EE Times.
- 10 Nov 2011:Shipments of LED lamps and luminaires to exceed 500 million units in Asia Pacific by 2021, according to Pike Research (November 9) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)While energy-efficient products are an expensive form of lighting for many customers in the Asia Pacific region, the higher costs are increasingly justified by the higher efficacy and performance compared to traditional lighting products.
- 2 Nov 2011:Flush from better-than-expected third quarter revenues, flash memory supplier SanDisk is buying back up to US$500 million of its stock over the next five years, joining a growing list of companies putting their cash to use to help build investor confidence.
- 25 Oct 2011:Strong growth in customer numbers helped UK chipmaker ARM beat analysts' forecasts with its third-quarter results, despite "below seasonal growth in the semiconductor industry."
- "Economic uncertainty continues to weigh on demand in almost every major market segment in which we operate," said CEO Rich Templeton. "Our revenue for the third quarter was higher than we expected though, overall, the quarter was below the seasonal average. We expect the same in the fourth quarter."
- 21 Oct 2011:South Korean flat-screen maker LG Display, a key supplier to Apple Inc, posted a wider-than-expected quarterly loss on Thursday as tepid demand for TVs and PCs hit panel prices and one-off losses weighed.
- 18 Oct 2011:Despite the near-term weakness, the company's long-term outlook looks bright with strong demand from emerging economies like India and China where replacement rate for tablets and notebooks is still high.
- 5 Oct 2011:Global Market for LCD Glass Substrates to Cross 467.2 Million Square Meters by 2017 (October 5) - PRW.comThe global market for LCD glass substrates is projected to cross 467.2 million square meters by the year 2017, primarily driven by rising penetration of LCD TVs and the growing demand for large size displays.
- 4 Oct 2011:Infineon Technologies may scale back its investment plans amid a slowdown in the chip sector and as demand falls due to the uncertain economic climate, according to CEO Peter Bauer.
- 30 Sep 2011:Micron falls after reporting loss as PC slump cut chip prices (September 30) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Micron Technology fell in US trading after reporting a fiscal fourth-quarter loss on weak demand for personal computers.
- 29 Sep 2011:Corning announced that it expects an overall 35% year-over-year decline in equity earnings from its two main joint-ventures - Samsung Corning and Dow Corning in third quarter of 2011, because of lower volumes at Samsung Corning due to the lower-than-expected LCD panel maker utilization rates.
- 23 Sep 2011:The reduction in expected revenue and profitability for the third quarter is primarily the result of reduced demand from the company's largest customer, weakness in the communications infrastructure market and softening demand from the China market.
- 22 Sep 2011:Taiwan's dollar weakened for a fourth day, sliding to an eight-month low, on concern that slowing global growth will weaken demand for the island's exports and slow job creation. Bonds rose.
- 20 Sep 2011:SMA Solar Technology AG, the world's biggest maker of solar inverters, slashed full-year targets only days after its chief executive called the outlook challenging, confirming fears the industry bellwether was not immune to falling demand.
- 16 Sep 2011:Blackberry manufacturer Research in Motion (RIM) has seen its second-quarter profits more than halve, hurt by low demand for its older models.
- 14 Sep 2011:The majority of the reduction is from the company's wireless products, which have experienced an unexpected decline in demand and pricing.
- 9 Sep 2011:Texas Instruments has narrowed and lowered its expected ranges for revenue and earnings per share (EPS) for the third quarter of 2011. The reductions are due to broadly lower demand across a wide range of products, markets and customers.
- 8 Sep 2011:Japan's Sumco, the world's No.2 supplier of silicon wafers used to make chips, slashed its annual operating profit forecast by 37% on weak PC demand and slower-than-expected growth in smartphones and tablet PCs, and it said the fragile economy could make chip demand retreat further.
- 7 Sep 2011:South Korea's exports of information technology (IT) products reached 13.06 billion U.S. dollars in August due to strong demand for the locally-made smartphones and TVs, a government report showed Wednesday.
- 26 Aug 2011:
- ThroughTek and Kii collaborate on next generation IoT cloud platform
- Surf on the mobile world: You'll never forget the eMMC duplicator
- ThroughTek and Advance Vision Electronics create IoT smarter home solution
- Seagate and EverFocus safeguards 400 Taiwanese brand optical shops in Taiwan
- G.SKILL announces world's fastest 128GB 2800MHz DDR4 memory kit with Samsung 8Gb ICs
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
Through intensified cooperation with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek,...
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
Macronix International, which ranks as the world's second-largest NOR flash supplier with a 19% share...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...