- 25 Apr 2012:Sandisk's first quarter results were messy and the outlook wasn't much better. The problem: Sandisk is making all the wrong moves and focusing on the wrong customers in the flash memory market.
- 17 Apr 2012:Barclays Capital is raising its total lithography units forecast by more than 10 systems, from 234 to 251 in 2012. As many as 260 litho tools could be purchased for semiconductor manufacturing, as foundries are seeing high demand for 28nm chips.
- 14 Mar 2012:Oil traded near the highest price in two days in New York as investors speculated fuel demand may increase amid signs the US economy is strengthening.
- 13 Mar 2012:The weak demand for TI's wireless products such as smartphones and tablets is mainly in its OMAP applications processors and connectivity products, said TI vice president Ron Slaymaker.
- 9 Mar 2012:
- 30 Jan 2012:Texas Instruments said it would close two older factories in Japan and Texas with 500 workers to cut costs. The company added it saw a broad resumption of demand in December that continued into January.
- 9 Jan 2012:Hard disk drive supplier Seagate Technology has provided a financial update, reiterating that demand for HDD units will exceed supply in 2012 in the wake of flooding last year in Thailand.
- 21 Dec 2011:The strength of the Japanese yen as well as the ongoing European debt crisis have weighed on external demand.
- 19 Dec 2011:South Korea said it's prepared to intervene in markets as the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il clouded the outlook for an economy already faltering on weak export demand.
- 9 Dec 2011:Chipmakers Texas Instruments and Altera have both cut their forecasts for the fourth quarter.
- 8 Dec 2011:Solar power company SunPower Corp. will cut about 125 jobs, or 2 percent of its workforce, as the company faces a global solar power market where prices and demand are stagnating.
- 7 Dec 2011:
- 21 Nov 2011:Japan's exports fell for the first time in three months, indicating that the yen's appreciation and financial turmoil in Europe are slowing the nation's recovery from the March disaster.
- 11 Nov 2011:Maria Marced, European president of TSMC, has pushed back against claims by market researchers at Gartner that foundries are having problems with yield on 28nm process technologies. For TSMC the roll out of the 28nm chip manufacturing node is "on plan," Marced told EE Times.
- 10 Nov 2011:Shipments of LED lamps and luminaires to exceed 500 million units in Asia Pacific by 2021, according to Pike Research (November 9) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)While energy-efficient products are an expensive form of lighting for many customers in the Asia Pacific region, the higher costs are increasingly justified by the higher efficacy and performance compared to traditional lighting products.
- 2 Nov 2011:Flush from better-than-expected third quarter revenues, flash memory supplier SanDisk is buying back up to US$500 million of its stock over the next five years, joining a growing list of companies putting their cash to use to help build investor confidence.
- 25 Oct 2011:Strong growth in customer numbers helped UK chipmaker ARM beat analysts' forecasts with its third-quarter results, despite "below seasonal growth in the semiconductor industry."
- "Economic uncertainty continues to weigh on demand in almost every major market segment in which we operate," said CEO Rich Templeton. "Our revenue for the third quarter was higher than we expected though, overall, the quarter was below the seasonal average. We expect the same in the fourth quarter."
- 21 Oct 2011:South Korean flat-screen maker LG Display, a key supplier to Apple Inc, posted a wider-than-expected quarterly loss on Thursday as tepid demand for TVs and PCs hit panel prices and one-off losses weighed.
- 18 Oct 2011:Despite the near-term weakness, the company's long-term outlook looks bright with strong demand from emerging economies like India and China where replacement rate for tablets and notebooks is still high.
- 5 Oct 2011:Global Market for LCD Glass Substrates to Cross 467.2 Million Square Meters by 2017 (October 5) - PRW.comThe global market for LCD glass substrates is projected to cross 467.2 million square meters by the year 2017, primarily driven by rising penetration of LCD TVs and the growing demand for large size displays.
- 4 Oct 2011:Infineon Technologies may scale back its investment plans amid a slowdown in the chip sector and as demand falls due to the uncertain economic climate, according to CEO Peter Bauer.
- 30 Sep 2011:Micron falls after reporting loss as PC slump cut chip prices (September 30) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)Micron Technology fell in US trading after reporting a fiscal fourth-quarter loss on weak demand for personal computers.
- 29 Sep 2011:Corning announced that it expects an overall 35% year-over-year decline in equity earnings from its two main joint-ventures - Samsung Corning and Dow Corning in third quarter of 2011, because of lower volumes at Samsung Corning due to the lower-than-expected LCD panel maker utilization rates.
- 23 Sep 2011:The reduction in expected revenue and profitability for the third quarter is primarily the result of reduced demand from the company's largest customer, weakness in the communications infrastructure market and softening demand from the China market.
- 22 Sep 2011:Taiwan's dollar weakened for a fourth day, sliding to an eight-month low, on concern that slowing global growth will weaken demand for the island's exports and slow job creation. Bonds rose.
- 20 Sep 2011:SMA Solar Technology AG, the world's biggest maker of solar inverters, slashed full-year targets only days after its chief executive called the outlook challenging, confirming fears the industry bellwether was not immune to falling demand.
- 16 Sep 2011:Blackberry manufacturer Research in Motion (RIM) has seen its second-quarter profits more than halve, hurt by low demand for its older models.
- 14 Sep 2011:The majority of the reduction is from the company's wireless products, which have experienced an unexpected decline in demand and pricing.
- 9 Sep 2011:Texas Instruments has narrowed and lowered its expected ranges for revenue and earnings per share (EPS) for the third quarter of 2011. The reductions are due to broadly lower demand across a wide range of products, markets and customers.
- 8 Sep 2011:Japan's Sumco, the world's No.2 supplier of silicon wafers used to make chips, slashed its annual operating profit forecast by 37% on weak PC demand and slower-than-expected growth in smartphones and tablet PCs, and it said the fragile economy could make chip demand retreat further.
- 7 Sep 2011:South Korea's exports of information technology (IT) products reached 13.06 billion U.S. dollars in August due to strong demand for the locally-made smartphones and TVs, a government report showed Wednesday.
- 26 Aug 2011:
- 25 Aug 2011:Applied Materials CEO Mike Splinter told analysts on a conference call that he is now expecting chipmakers to spend US$1 billion less on new equipment than the company forecast in July. "We've seen demand from our foundry customers soften significantly in the past six weeks," Splitner said.
- The pressure in the DRAM business today is "untenable for a number of players," with something needing to happen to the struggling Asian memory makers within the next couple of quarters, Micron CEO Steve Appleton was quoted as saying.
- 26 Jul 2011:Samsung Electronics, maker of the Galaxy mobile phone, may have surpassed Nokia and Apple in smartphone sales for the first time on demand for devices that run on Android software, a research company said.
- 22 Jul 2011:Sales of PCs with Windows to businesses actually rose 8% in the quarter ended June 30, but could not offset weak demand among consumers, particularly in so-called developed markets, according to Microsoft. Sales of lightweight netbook computers with Windows fell 41% in the period.
- 21 Jul 2011:"Demand growth is likely to be weaker than usual in the third quarter, as customers are delaying purchases due to slow global economic growth," Hynix said.
- 13 Jul 2011:"What foundries are seeing more and more, and what we're seeing overall, is a very tight linkage to consumer demand. All of us are disappointed with demand for PCs this year, and tablets probably will be 20 million units short of what people thought was possible for the year..."
- WD tiered portfolio of hard drives helps storage solutions providers address big data
- MSI introduces all new gaming products at CeBIT 2014
- EverFocus showcasing integration at Secutech 2014
- MSI R9 290X LIGHTNING - built to be perfect
- Tatung aggressively expanding in Middle East: Smart energy-saving solutions showcased at Middle East Electricity 2014
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- The developments of the security solutions market in Greater China: Q&A with EverFocus product marketing manager Tony Lin
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone vendors rely on international brands for overseas expansion
- Digitimes Research: Google to get the brunt of dual OS tablets while Microsoft to benefit the most
- Digitimes Research: Cortex-A17 to take over ARM high-end/mid-range 32-bit business
- A win-win situation for Toshiba and OCZ: Q&A with Alex Mei, CMO of OCZ Storage Solutions
- Intel unveils latest Education Tablet and Classmate PC
- AMD offers new 12- and 16-core additions to Opteron 6300 series
- CES 2014: Samsung unveils 12-inch tablet lineups
- CES 2014: HP unveils new 27-inch all-in-one workstation and new Android-based all-in-one PC
- CES 2014: LG unveils new wearable innovations
The security solutions market is an increasingly important market as the IT industry develops and security...
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...