- 12 Dec 2012:or most of the last two decades personal computers have accounted for a third or more of annual IC sales, but standard PCs are now on the brink of being replaced as the largest end-use product category for ICs.
- "Since Mike joined SMIC last year, he and his team have brought in record-breaking sales from the Americas region," said SMIC CEO Tzu-Yin Chiu. "We are excited to have him leading our sales force as we partner with new and existing customers and expand our service offerings."
- 3 Dec 2012:The two companies are expected to ship an estimated 353 million smartphones and hold a combined 47% share of the total smartphone market in 2012. Smartphone suppliers under pressure include Nokia, RIM and HTC, each of which is expected to register steep double-digit year-over-year declines in smartphone unit sales this year.
- 30 Nov 2012:Nokia has asked courts in the US, UK and Canada to block sales of rival Blackberry smartphones.
- 27 Nov 2012:A record 247 million people visited stores and websites between Thursday and Sunday and spent a total of $59.1bn (£36.9bn), 13% more than last year, the National Retail Federation (NRF) said.
- 16 Nov 2012:Sales growth at Wal-Mart has fallen short of market expectations, with the world's biggest retailer saying customers are feeling the pinch.
- 6 Nov 2012:Booming sales in Asia have helped German car firm BMW shrug off the gloom in Europe to report a record third quarter pre-tax profit.
- 31 Oct 2012:Toshiba is expected to report a 10% drop in consolidated operating profit for the April-September period as a strong yen hurt sales, the Nikkei reported.
- 26 Oct 2012:"Solid demand for wireless communications in both packaging and test was the key driver of our business in the third quarter," said Ken Joyce, Amkor's president and CEO. "Lower-than-anticipated supply of 28nm wafers in the early part of the quarter and the overall weakness in the semiconductor market and general economy constrained our growth."
- 23 Oct 2012:China's low-cost smartphone maker Xiaomi will look to expand its busines beyond the domestic market to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore via online sales, but it will steer clear of producing tablet devices.
- 18 Oct 2012:Dutch semiconductor-manufacturing equipment maker ASML said Wednesday it sees weak demand in memory chips, and adjusted its second half net sales guidance to the lower end of its earlier EUR2.2 billion-EUR2.4 billion range.
- 2 Oct 2012:A temporary sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer in the US has been lifted by a US court.
- 12 Sep 2012:Globalfoundries appoints Joe Chen as new sales head for Greater China (September 10) - Company releasePrior to joining Globalfoundries, Chen held key senior management positions in Marvell where he was responsible for sales, support and customer service for the company's business in China.
- 4 Sep 2012:Warren East, chief executive of ARM, said the chipmaker was holding back on some of its recruitment plans in 2012 amid fears of a slowdown in sales in the second half of the year.
- 20 Aug 2012:Applied Materials has forecast fiscal fourth-quarter sales that may fall short of analysts' estimates as some customers rein in expansion plans.
- 17 Aug 2012:Chipmaker Marvell technology said Thursday that its second-quarter net income fell by more than half as revenue declined but research and sales costs rose.
- 8 Aug 2012:
- 6 Aug 2012:Struggling Japanese chip firm Renesas Electronics has forecast it will make a net loss of JPY150 billion (US$1.91 billion) driven by restructuring costs for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013, as it published sales down 11% sequentially for the first fiscal quarter, ended June 30.
- 25 Jul 2012:ARM, whose chip designs power Apple's iPhone, said second-quarter revenue climbed 15% beating analysts' estimates, even as some customers delayed orders.
- 24 Jul 2012:Cisco Systems plans to eliminate about 1,300 jobs, or 2% of the workforce, as Europe's debt crisis and sluggish corporate spending threaten sales.
- 20 Jul 2012:
- 19 Jul 2012:Qualcomm has lowered its forecast of global cellular device shipments for 2012 due to a gloomy economic outlook, though it expects device sales to surge in the fourth quarter because of upcoming products, a likely reference to Apple's iPhone and Microsoft's Windows 8 tablets.
- 18 Jul 2012:Google's tablet is off to a rousing debut. I doubt sales numbers will reach iPad standards, but Nexus 7 is nevertheless hotly pursued and reports from early adopters evoke pure delight. If you want one and haven't ordered, be prepared to wait. In the United States, delay is now nominal for the 8GB model -- 3 to 5 business days before shipping, according to Google Play. Prepare to wait three to four weeks for the 16GB tablet, however. That's from Google, which right now has best availablity following the first weekend rush.
- 13 Jul 2012:Nikia will squeeze the current four big sales regions into two sales areas in China, namely the North and South sales regions, after its sales in the country dipped 18% to US$6.7 billion in 2011 compared with a 23% rise in 2010.
- 12 Jul 2012:
- 5 Jul 2012:Shoppers in the eurozone loosened their purse-strings in May, but the trend remained sluggish, official statistics have shown.
- 4 Jul 2012:Samsung topped the Indian smartphones market with 40.4 per cent share during the January-March quarter. Total smartphone sales touched 2.7 million units during the quarter.
- 26 Jun 2012:Samsung Electronics expects cumulative sales of its latest smartphone Galaxy S3 to top 10 million units during July, JK Shin, head of its telecommunications business, said on Monday.
- 5 Jun 2012:
- 4 Jun 2012:Gray market for mobile cellphones serves as boon to low-cost flash memory, IHS says (May 17) - Company releaseThe massive gray market for cellphones is propelling sales of lower-cost flash memories like embedded multimedia card (eMMC) and serial peripheral interface (SPI) NOR, as manufacturers of the unregulated phones strive to keep production costs low, according to IHS iSuppli.
- 8 May 2012:Toshiba has predicted profit will rise 83% as sales recover from a slump caused by the strong yen, falling prices and natural disasters.
- 3 May 2012:German microchip maker Infineon raised its full-year sales outlook after demand for its energy efficiency, mobility and security chips, particularly from the car industry, helped second-quarter results beat expectations.
- 2 May 2012:
- RF chip maker TriQuint Semiconductor cut about 70 jobs in Florida last week after issuing a disappointing quarterly report and sales forecast, according to a report by the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
- 26 Apr 2012:Xilinx rose as much as 8.1% in extended trading after forecasting sales this quarter that may beat some analysts' estimates.
- 19 Apr 2012:Qualcomm has warned that it was losing sales of its latest high-end chips because of limited supplies, with some customers likely to turn to rivals.
- 13 Apr 2012:Samsung Electronics probably overtook Nokia as the top handset seller for the first time, helped by the popularity of the Galaxy smartphones, according to analyst estimates.
- 12 Apr 2012:
- 11 Apr 2012:Although only 2% growth was registered in the worldwide semiconductor market in 2011, several companies posted results that were far different, according to IC Insights.
- GIGABYTE announces 'Feel the Force' OC contest winners
- Internet of Things to provide new business opportunities and enable business model changes
- MOEA recognizes alliances between foreign and Taiwanese IT firms for creating new value
- Advantech Accelerates Intelligent Video Designs with Complete Solutions
- Innovation through Partnership to Make IoT a Reality
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
ChipMOS Technologies is among very few firms that have transformed themselves successfully and are...
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET), the three largest...
Smartphone ODM Arima Communications has decided to expand its product lines to include tablets, smart...
OCZ Technology shifted its corporate focus away from legacy DRAM memory modules in 2011, and has since...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...