- 26 Apr 2013:Although smartphone sales are still climbing Qualcomm is now facing fiercer competition from other chip makers, including Intel, which has been redesigning its microprocessors in an attempt to grab a bigger piece of the mobile computing market.
- 24 Apr 2013:ARM jumped the most in more than four years after reporting sales that beat estimates as demand increased for its graphics and processing technology.
- 15 Apr 2013:After strong gains in 2010 and 2011, power transistor sales fell more than 8% in 2012 to US$12.3 billion primarily due to weak economic growth and high levels of uncertainty, which caused equipment makers to rein in semiconductor purchases, according to IC Insights.
- 10 Apr 2013:At a recent event in San Jose, California, TSMC CEO Morris Chang said that company sales will rise at a percentage in the teens this year.
- 9 Apr 2013:Worldwide semiconductor revenues reached US$299.9 billion in 2012, down 2.6% from 2011, according to Gartner.
- 26 Mar 2013:Micron Technology has posted a quarterly loss, hurt by acquisition-related expenses, but the chipmaker's revenue and margins improved.
- 20 Mar 2013:Samsung's disclosure comes after people familiar with Apple's plans said last month the company has about 100 product designers working on a wristwatch-like device that may perform similar functions to the iPhone and iPad.
- 18 Mar 2013:Seven O-S-D product categories and device groups reached record-high sales in 2012 compared to 14 new records being set in 2011.
- 10 Mar 2013:"Led by continuing strength in the Americas, the global semiconductor industry has built on its momentum from the end of 2012 with an encouraging start to 2013, but ongoing economic uncertainty is holding back more robust growth," said Brian Toohey, president and CEO of Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA).
- Texas Instruments, the largest maker of analog chips, raised the lower end of its forecasts for first-quarter sales and profit, as customers increase orders ahead of a projected rebound in electronics demand.
- Industry consolidation to just three big DRAM suppliers and a reduction in capital expenditures among these manufacturers helped propel DRAM average selling prices (ASPs) up 13% year over year in January. Capex budgets are also being trimmed for NAND flash (though not nearly as much as DRAM), and that, along with ongoing unit demand, has put upward pressure on ASPs for these memory devices as well.
- 31 Jan 2013:Nintendo's new Wii U console had a tough holiday launch, and its 3DS handheld continues to struggle.
- As expected, Qualcomm cashed in on smartphone sales and the chipsets that go with them. In a statement, Qualcomm CEO Paul Jacobs said the company is positioned for strong growth courtesy of its Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and 600 processors.
- 28 Jan 2013:Worldwide microprocessor sales are expected to regain strength in 2013 and grow 12% to US$65.3 billion after rising just 5% in 2012 to US$58.2 billion due to weakness in standard PCs and the shaky global economy, according to IC Insights.
- 4 Jan 2013:Industry experts say brisk sales of its latest smartphones, the Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3, have driven its operating profit to an all-time high.
- 26 Dec 2012:Sales shoppers meet last-minute panic buyers as UK shops kick-off traditional discounts two days earlier.
- 21 Dec 2012:Micron Technology has reported a wider fiscal first-quarter loss as a slump in demand for personal computers led to a supply glut, weighing down prices.
- 12 Dec 2012:or most of the last two decades personal computers have accounted for a third or more of annual IC sales, but standard PCs are now on the brink of being replaced as the largest end-use product category for ICs.
- "Since Mike joined SMIC last year, he and his team have brought in record-breaking sales from the Americas region," said SMIC CEO Tzu-Yin Chiu. "We are excited to have him leading our sales force as we partner with new and existing customers and expand our service offerings."
- 3 Dec 2012:The two companies are expected to ship an estimated 353 million smartphones and hold a combined 47% share of the total smartphone market in 2012. Smartphone suppliers under pressure include Nokia, RIM and HTC, each of which is expected to register steep double-digit year-over-year declines in smartphone unit sales this year.
- 30 Nov 2012:Nokia has asked courts in the US, UK and Canada to block sales of rival Blackberry smartphones.
- 27 Nov 2012:A record 247 million people visited stores and websites between Thursday and Sunday and spent a total of $59.1bn (£36.9bn), 13% more than last year, the National Retail Federation (NRF) said.
- 16 Nov 2012:Sales growth at Wal-Mart has fallen short of market expectations, with the world's biggest retailer saying customers are feeling the pinch.
- 6 Nov 2012:Booming sales in Asia have helped German car firm BMW shrug off the gloom in Europe to report a record third quarter pre-tax profit.
- 31 Oct 2012:Toshiba is expected to report a 10% drop in consolidated operating profit for the April-September period as a strong yen hurt sales, the Nikkei reported.
- 26 Oct 2012:"Solid demand for wireless communications in both packaging and test was the key driver of our business in the third quarter," said Ken Joyce, Amkor's president and CEO. "Lower-than-anticipated supply of 28nm wafers in the early part of the quarter and the overall weakness in the semiconductor market and general economy constrained our growth."
- 23 Oct 2012:China's low-cost smartphone maker Xiaomi will look to expand its busines beyond the domestic market to Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore via online sales, but it will steer clear of producing tablet devices.
- 18 Oct 2012:Dutch semiconductor-manufacturing equipment maker ASML said Wednesday it sees weak demand in memory chips, and adjusted its second half net sales guidance to the lower end of its earlier EUR2.2 billion-EUR2.4 billion range.
- 2 Oct 2012:A temporary sales ban on Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer in the US has been lifted by a US court.
- 12 Sep 2012:Globalfoundries appoints Joe Chen as new sales head for Greater China (September 10) - Company releasePrior to joining Globalfoundries, Chen held key senior management positions in Marvell where he was responsible for sales, support and customer service for the company's business in China.
- 4 Sep 2012:Warren East, chief executive of ARM, said the chipmaker was holding back on some of its recruitment plans in 2012 amid fears of a slowdown in sales in the second half of the year.
- 20 Aug 2012:Applied Materials has forecast fiscal fourth-quarter sales that may fall short of analysts' estimates as some customers rein in expansion plans.
- 17 Aug 2012:Chipmaker Marvell technology said Thursday that its second-quarter net income fell by more than half as revenue declined but research and sales costs rose.
- 8 Aug 2012:
- 6 Aug 2012:Struggling Japanese chip firm Renesas Electronics has forecast it will make a net loss of JPY150 billion (US$1.91 billion) driven by restructuring costs for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2013, as it published sales down 11% sequentially for the first fiscal quarter, ended June 30.
- 25 Jul 2012:ARM, whose chip designs power Apple's iPhone, said second-quarter revenue climbed 15% beating analysts' estimates, even as some customers delayed orders.
- 24 Jul 2012:Cisco Systems plans to eliminate about 1,300 jobs, or 2% of the workforce, as Europe's debt crisis and sluggish corporate spending threaten sales.
- 20 Jul 2012:
- 19 Jul 2012:Qualcomm has lowered its forecast of global cellular device shipments for 2012 due to a gloomy economic outlook, though it expects device sales to surge in the fourth quarter because of upcoming products, a likely reference to Apple's iPhone and Microsoft's Windows 8 tablets.
- Digitimes Research: Intel cooperation with Fossil to develop smartwatches will help expand influence in wearables market
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan panel makers plan to further develop on-cell touch for large-size applications
- Digitimes Research: Intel looking to promote x86 architecture to China chip designers
- The highly sophisticated tool for protecting from data security vulnerabilities - MEjW TP-400-I
- The Fortrend OGS received U.S. Patent Certificate
- G.SKILL Releases World's Fastest DDR4 3333MHz Memory, Available Now! The Bleeding Edge of Speed Has Arrived!
- Indium Corporation announces new EZ-Pour Gallium Trichloride
- Genesys Logic announces a reference design pairing its USB 3.0 card reader controller GL3221 with NFC transceiver ST95HF from STMicroelectronics
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Intel looking to promote x86 architecture to China chip designers
- Digitimes Research: Intel to see strong tablet AP shipments in 2H14
- Commentary: Apple Watch pioneering user interface will make around 10% of users Think Different
- Digitimes Research: Asustek detachable devices face size hurdle
- Digitimes Research: Apple refocuses on 9.7-inch iPad in 2H14
Karbonn, the second-largest India-based handset vendor, is looking into in-house production. Digitimes...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
As India's handset market is continuing to grow, local vendors including Lava, Spice, Intex and GI...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...