- 4 Jan 2011:There have been rumors afoot about RIM working on a 4G LTE BlackBerry for a couple of years now, and the device that was intended to be released this year has been pushed to the end of the year.
- 31 Dec 2010:
- 30 Dec 2010:Poor battery life is likely the reason that Research In Motion has delayed the launch of its BlackBerry PlayBook tablet until the second quarter of 2011, according to a new report from Kaufman Bros.
- 17 Dec 2010:RIM on Thursday claimed another record quarter for the fall. It shipped 14.2 million BlackBerry phones, or just enough to top Apple's 14.1 million iPhones in the summer. The tally was 40 percent higher than a year earlier.
- 9 Dec 2010:Everybody knows BlackBerry OS 6 is a stopgap. It's a way to keep the business going (and keep enterprise customers attached to their BlackBerry Enterprise Servers) while RIM works on the world-beating next big thing, which seems to involve a QNX core, TAT interface, Torch Mobile Web browser, and dual-core processors.
- 6 Dec 2010:India's government is in discussions with companies that use BlackBerry to gain access to employees' secure communications when seen as necessary, said a top Indian official.
- 2 Dec 2010:
- 24 Nov 2010:The exact reasons behind the pull weren't known but could involve both legitimate security concerns and competition.
- 22 Nov 2010:Dell has announced that it will be replacing 25,000 BlackBerry smartphones and instead provide its employees with Dell devices running Microsoft's operating system.
- 17 Nov 2010:In an online video, the Canadian wireless giant further raised its war of words with Apple by showing how its PlayBook dwarfs the iPad for just about every application.
- 11 Nov 2010:
- 10 Nov 2010:"We're close to 60 million BlackBerry subscribers now and if we continue to perform moderately, we'll be 100 million (subscribers) in couple of years...two years," said RIM Co-Chief Executive Jim Balsillie.
- 8 Nov 2010:
- 5 Nov 2010:Bank of America and Citigroup are considering to let employees use the iPhone as an alternative to BlackBerry for corporate e-mail, said three sources. The banks are testing software for the iPhone that's designed to make it secure enough for company messages.
- Dell will shift 25,000 of its employees from RIM's BlackBerry to its own smartphones, the company said.
- 3 Nov 2010:IT department at Western Union had a strict policy of issuing and supporting only BlackBerry. Then new CEO Hikmet Ersek took command of the 6,000-employee company and demanded that he be allowed to use his iPhone for work.
- 2 Nov 2010:
- 27 Oct 2010:
- 25 Oct 2010:Starbucks expands mobile payment test to New York City and Long Island (Oct 25) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Customers with BlackBerry Smartphone, iPhone or iPod touch and the Starbucks Card Mobile App Can Now Experience the Fastest Way to Pay at Starbucks.
- 20 Oct 2010:RIM retaliates on Steve Job's recent knock on the Blackberry maker."For those of us who live outside of Apple's distortion field, we know that 7-inch tablets will be a big portion of the market and we know that Adobe Flash support matters to customers who want a real web experience," said RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie.
- 19 Oct 2010:Here is a selection of the most poignant quotes from Jobs on the call, organized into the five main topics:
- "We are pleased to be working with the TRA, Etisalat and Du on this important initiative to support mobile innovation across the Middle East. We are excited to build on our success in the region and to deepen our commitment to delivering industry leading products and services...," said Jim Balsillie, co-CEO of RIM.
- 11 Oct 2010:In a statement sent to Emirates 24/7 on Monday, BlackBerry manufacturing company, Research in Motion (RIM), refused to give details of the deal reached with TRA but indicated the deal took into account the UAE security needs.
- 6 Oct 2010:MOtorola today announced the Droid Pro, which is clearly going after the BlackBerry segment and will be on sale in the first week of November on Verizon Wireless. Motorola Mobility's CEO Sanjay Jha, said: "34% of BlackBerry users are ready to switch to Android if it supports what the IT department wants."
- As of August 10, Android phones represented 32% of the smartphones sold this year. In comparison, Apple iPhones accounted for 25% of devices sold and RIM BlackBerry handsets represented 26% of sales.
- 28 Sep 2010:
- 23 Sep 2010:The so-called BlackPad could be unveiled as early next week at a developer's conference in San Francisco.
- 13 Sep 2010:Android-based devices could outnumber BlackBerry smartphones and iPhones by the end of 2010, and match Symbian sooner than expected.
- 2 Sep 2010:
- 1 Sep 2010:"Any company with a telecoms network should be accessible," an Indian Home Ministry official told the BBC. "It could be Google or Skype, but anyone operating in India will have to provide data."
- 23 Aug 2010:India Digest: Govt. tells BlackBerry to install server or shut services (Aug 23) - Wall Street JournalA roundup of news from Indian media regarding the possible BlackBerry ban.
- 18 Aug 2010:India said Tuesday it was still undecided as to whether it would allow RIM to offer its BlackBerry corporate email services in the country beyond Aug 31.
- 16 Aug 2010:
- With a skimpy 8% share of the US market, according to the research firm comScore, Nokia trails Samsung, LG, Motorola and Research In Motion, the maker of the BlackBerry.
- 13 Aug 2010:India is among a growing number of nations scrutinizing BlackBerry services over concerns the devices may be used by terrorists or for other illegal activities because the device's encryption prevents intelligence agencies from monitoring mail traffic.
- 12 Aug 2010:
- 10 Aug 2010:According to reports, the German interior ministry has asked government departments to avoid using BlackBerry because of a "dramatic increase in cyber attacks", and instead opt for Simko devices offered by Deutsche Telekom.
- 6 Aug 2010:Indonesia has no plans to ban services for RIM's BlackBerry services, according to a Wall Street Journal report Thursday, citing an information ministry statement, whch said it has "no plan whatsoever to implement the banning policy which is being undertaken by United Arab Emirates, as we haven't seen any urgency ... also because there's no specific regulation regarding this issue," according to the report.
- Three new GKB SDI cameras to strengthen HD-SDI portfolio
- Software AG releases Intelligent Business Operations to handle next generation smart data applications
- Apotop i-Selfie brings you an innovative wireless Selfie snapshot experience
- ECS announces the whole new AMD FM2+ Platform motherboards
- EverFocus ENVR8304E wins Secutech Excellence Award 2014
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Design Benefits of the MI/O Extension Solution
- Windows tablets gaining traction in Japan
- Digitimes Research: ITO film price drop to slow metal mesh penetration in mid-size touch applications
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan ODMs losing out as PC brand vendors turn to China supply chain for tablets
- Digitimes Research: Over 50% white-box tablets to come with phone functions in 2H14; MediaTek to benefit most
- Digitimes Research: 3-mode smartphones to dominate China entry-level market
More and more players have made inroads into the MEMS microphone industry to cash in on the rising...
The security solutions market is an increasingly important market as the IT industry develops and security...
As part of Toshiba, OCZ Storage Solutions is able to leverage Toshiba's NAND and combine it with its...
While Digitimes is known as a media outlet, the company also includes a business unit that solely focuses...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...