- 18 Feb 2013:The yen resumed its slide on Monday as Group of 20 officials held off from censuring Japan for appearing to target a weaker currency as a way to spur growth.
- 7 Feb 2013:As part of its broader restructuring measures, Fujitsu said it will cut 5,000 jobs, including 3,000 workers in Japan and 2,000 overseas, partly through early retirement offers. Fujitsu currently has about 170,000 workers world-wide.
- 6 Feb 2013:Fujitsu and Panasonic are in the final stage of talks to go ahead with a merger of their large-scale integrated chip (LSI) operations into a new company, NHK reported Friday.
- 24 Jan 2013:Japan has posted a record high trade deficit for 2012, as exports to Europe and China continued their plunge.
- 22 Jan 2013:As well as its US regional headquarters, Sony has also indicated its willingness to sell the building housing its television business in Tokyo.
- 16 Jan 2013:Japan's economy minister surprised financial markets on Tuesday by warning of the potential ill effects of a sharply weaker yen in a rare rhetorical departure from years of attempts by Tokyo to talk the currency down.
- 7 Jan 2013:
- 4 Jan 2013:The dollar jumped to a two-year high against the yen Thursday on expectations that Japan's new government will lower interest rates to boost the economy, weakening the yen.
- 28 Dec 2012:Japan's industrial output tumbled more than forecast to the lowest level since the aftermath of the record 2011 earthquake. In contrast, South Korea's industrial output exceeded estimates in November and the nation's current-account surplus rose to a record.
- 18 Dec 2012:Shares rose early on Monday after the win by Shinzo Abe, who has promised more public spending and says he will implement measures directed at weakening the yen and fighting deflation.
- 12 Dec 2012:There's nothing surprising about Japan going out of its way to bail out Renesas Electronics. The obvious objective is to maintain a steady flow of Renesas chips into domestic products, especially Toyota and Nissan automobiles.
- 21 Nov 2012:Japan's prime minister dissolved the lower house of parliament Friday to avoid a disastrous freeze in government spending, triggering elections that could result in more aggressive policies to stimulate the country's economy.
- 5 Nov 2012:A joint venture between Sumitomo and Kazakhstan's state-owned Kazatomprom uranium mining group officially opened a rare earth metal plant Friday in the former Soviet republic.
- 31 Oct 2012:Toshiba is expected to report a 10% drop in consolidated operating profit for the April-September period as a strong yen hurt sales, the Nikkei reported.
- 23 Oct 2012:The strong Japanese yen has hurt the country's export competitiveness, while demand has evaporated as growth slowed in most regions. Meanwhile, the country's energy imports have risen following closures of most of its nuclear plants.
- Marubeni Corporation has announced its plans to build an 81.5 MW photovoltaic plant in Japan's Oita prefecture.
- 19 Oct 2012:
- 4 Oct 2012:
- 1 Oct 2012:
- 26 Sep 2012:Sharp has unveiled plans to apply for delisting of its common stock on the Nagoya, Fukuoka and Sapporo bourses in Japan.
- 19 Sep 2012:Japan has partially approved a plan - without a specific deadline - to phase out nuclear power after last year's Fukushima disaster, officials say.
- 18 Sep 2012:Dozens of Japanese businesses shut operations in China on Monday and urged expatriates to stay indoors, fearing an escalation of protests triggered by Tokyo's decision to nationalise a group of islands claimed by Beijing.
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 5 Sep 2012:
- 31 Aug 2012:
- 22 Aug 2012:Japan has reported a wider-than-expected trade deficit in July, as slowing demand from China and Europe weighed on exports.
- 17 Aug 2012:Cash-strapped Sharp is in talks to sell its key solar panel plant in Japan as part of an asset sale seeking more than US$1.2 billion, local media said on Thursday.
- 30 Jul 2012:Japan's Fujitsu is in talks to sell its main semiconductor plant to TSMC, sources close to the matter told Reuters on Friday.
- 26 Jul 2012:Sharp is considering chopping some 3,000 jobs, or 15% of its parent-basis workforce, to turn its deteriorating business around, Kyodo News reported Thursday, citing sources close to the plan.
- 13 Jul 2012:Toshiba has announced that it will implement a series of functional reorganizations of its Digital Products business facilities in Japan that will enhance operating efficiency and the performance of its Digital Products businesses, including the LCD TV business.
- 5 Jul 2012:Japanese regulators approved a merger between the nation's two biggest stock exchanges, paving the way for the first tie-up of major bourses after US$32 billion of global deals failed since last February.
- 2 Jul 2012:
- 21 Jun 2012:The Toshiba Corporation has announced that it will commence the construction of PV plants totaling 100MW in Minami Soma on the battered northeastern coastline where a tsunami and an earthquake caused the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl a year ago.
- 18 Jun 2012:Many politicians and anti-nuclear activists in other countries are joining the international outcry against Japan and its decision to restart two reactors at the nuclear power plant in Oi, Fukui Prefecture.
- Japanese government to request end to energy-wasting incandescent bulbs (June 17) - The Japan Daily PressIn an attempt to save electricity and help avoid power shortages this summer, the Japanese government is expected to ask major electronics retailers and home appliance makers to voluntarily put an end to both the sales and production of traditional incandescent light bulbs.
- 15 Jun 2012:Japan's NEC will not provide a fresh capital injection to support loss-making chipmaker Renesas Electronics, a senior NEC executive said in a newspaper interview.
- 8 Jun 2012:Olympus, the Japanese camera maker recovering from an accounting scandal, has announced a five-year plan that includes cutting 2,700 jobs.
- 6 Jun 2012:Japan's public broadcasting network says new television technology will offer viewers a picture with 16 times the resolution currently available on HDTVs.
- Launching custom-made projector LED light sources, shaping up speedy service model
- Sidekick at the 2015 SIA new product showcase in ISC West won award
- Jorjin launch SimpleLink module solutions for Internet of Everything
- AZUL Design provides integrated services for UI/UX and program design in Asia Pacific
- Universal Stylus Initiative launched to create a specification for an active stylus
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft patent fee cut to attract vendors to pre-install apps in Android products
- Digitimes Research: Lenovo smartphone shipments reach only 8-9 million units in 1Q15
- Digitimes Research: China smartphone shipments drop over 30% sequentially in 1Q15 as small regional vendors suffer
Global demand for LED lighting will peak in 2018, with LED applications to acount for 70% of all lighting...
Through intensified cooperation with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and MediaTek,...
Taiwan-based crystalline silicon solar cell makers have been impacted by the US imposing an average...
The IC backend service industry was capped by a flurry of merger and acquisition (M&A) activities...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...