- 13 Sep 2012:Global Semiconductor Alliance appoints first director representing China (April 24) - Company releaseThe Global Semiconductor Alliance (GSA) has announced the appointment of Leo Li, chairman, CEO and president of Spreadtrum Communications, to its board of directors. In his new position, Li will represent Asia-Pacific as the first board director based in China.
- 22 Aug 2012:Yukio Sakamoto has decided to step down as president of Elpida Memory to take responsibility for the company's fall once its takeover by Micron Technology is complete, The Nikkei reported Wednesday morning.
- 9 Aug 2012:China and Taiwan have signed their first investor-protection agreement in the latest sign of the momentum behind President Ma Ying-jeou's drive to strengthen his country's relationship with China, its biggest trade partner and frequent political adversary.
- 2 Aug 2012:"Shipments will start in August," Sharp's new president, Takashi Okuda, said at a press briefing in Tokyo on Thursday after the company released its latest quarterly earnings.
- 26 Jul 2012:Broadcom President and CEO Scott McGregor said he doesn't expect the CSR technology to be a technical threat to Broadcom's technology. He said Samsung is more likely to use resulting chips for lower-end products, which could impact some of Samsung's suppliers in Taiwan.
- 25 Jun 2012:Applied Materials investors cheered the appointment of a seasoned executive Wednesday.
- 20 Jun 2012:The potential for Chinese fabless companies to reap greater rewards are already here, according to Allen Wu, president of ARM China. ARM-based SoCs, designed by Chinese fabless companies and shipped globally, jumped from 30 million units in 2007 to 615 million units in 2011.
- 19 Jun 2012:Fab 1, the 300mm operation of Globalfoundries here, could be used for 20nm process technology and for processing 450mm wafers, according to Rutger Wijburg, vice president and Fab 1 general manager. Wijburg was speaking to a group of journalists being given a tour of the Dresden wafer fab on June 15.
- 20 May 2012:Tens of thousands of demonstrators gathered Saturday in downtown Taipei to protest government policies ahead of the inauguration of recently re-elected Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou. Participants said they were angry about Ma's economic policies, including his decision - announced after his January re-election - to raise utility prices.
- Qualcomm has announced the appointment of Clifford Ficke as vice president and president of Qualcomm Japan.
- 11 May 2012:President Obama's visit will highlight the historic public and private investments in new advanced manufacturing, R&D, and education facilities helping to revitalize upstate New York and strategically position the US in the global economy.
- 20 Mar 2012:Chang-Sik Choi, former executive vice president of Samsung Electronics, has been named president and CEO while Chan-Hee Lee, former executive vice president of MagnaChip Semiconductor, has been named president in charge of Dongbu HiTek's foundry business.
- 13 Mar 2012:The weak demand for TI's wireless products such as smartphones and tablets is mainly in its OMAP applications processors and connectivity products, said TI vice president Ron Slaymaker.
- 17 Feb 2012:Qualcomm said Friday it will continue with technology acquisitions that help it grow but has no specific targets at the moment.
- 14 Feb 2012:President Obama has a date with China's Vice President Xi Jinping on Valentine's Day, and despite tensions between the world's two largest economies, they're both likely to put on a happy face. Like it or not, the economic fates of both countries remain closely intertwined.
- Micron Technology president Mark Adams said prices of computer memory have probably hit their lowest after a slump that caused losses at three of the four largest companies in the industry.
- 9 Feb 2012:
- 7 Feb 2012:Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. plans to announce 3D IC assembly service as a general offering at the beginning of 2013, according to Maria Marced, president of TSMC Europe.
- 4 Feb 2012:Micron Technology has announced the death of Chairman and CEO Steve Appleton in a small plane accident in Boise. Mr. President and COO Mark Durcan will assume the responsibilities of CEO until a successor is appointed.
- 30 Jan 2012:"We delivered a solid fourth quarter amid challenging market conditions," said company president and CEO John Kispert. "2011 was a year of transition and intense product development. Spansion is now well-positioned for growth in the future in areas such as automotive, industrial, communications and gaming..."
- 17 Jan 2012:Prior to joining Globalfoundries, Michael Noonen served as executive vice president, sales and marketing as a member of NXP Semiconductors' executive management team from 2008 to 2011.
- 15 Jan 2012:But it is also clear that a large number of Taiwanese remain sceptical about the downside of President Ma's policy towards China.
- 12 Jan 2012:OMAP 5 will come to the consumer market "maybe in the fourth quarter [of 2012]," said Greg Delagi, senior vice president and general manager of TI's Wireless Business Unit. OMAP 5 differs from OMAP 4 in that it uses a dual-core A15 CPU, the next generation from chip designer ARM.
- China has forgone blustery warnings and war games in the run-up to Taiwan's presidential election this weekend, and will likely take a measured response even if the independence-leaning opposition unseats friendlier incumbent Ma Ying-jeou.
- 10 Jan 2012:
- 2 Jan 2012:But he said that the biggest goal was stability, and that aid-for-disarmament talks could resume if Pyongyang halted its nuclear activities.
- 16 Dec 2011:
- 11 Nov 2011:Maria Marced, European president of TSMC, has pushed back against claims by market researchers at Gartner that foundries are having problems with yield on 28nm process technologies. For TSMC the roll out of the 28nm chip manufacturing node is "on plan," Marced told EE Times.
- ARM has said that co-founder and President Tudor Brown will retire in May 2012 after helping turn the firm into a dominant mobile processor company.
- 3 Nov 2011:"[Making] bulk silicon HKMG at 28nm is hard. All foundries are having yield issues and defect density issues right now," said Bob Johnson, research vice president at Gartner.
- 31 Oct 2011:Samsung Electronics' president expects Thailand floods to further hit the computer memory chip market by hurting PC production until the first quarter of 2012.
- 25 Oct 2011:During a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said that 'broad agreement' was reached to ramp up the firepower of the eurozone rescue fund.
- 20 Oct 2011:Taiwan may consider a peace treaty with political rival China in 10 years, but only if the Taiwanese people agree and there is sufficient trust between the two sides, said President Ma Ying-jeou.
- 9 Sep 2011:Calling for unity and an end to a "political circus" US President Barack Obama told Republicans to immediately pass a US$447 billion jobs plan to jolt the stalled economy and cheer a disillusioned nation.
- 8 Sep 2011:Facing a frustrated public and a skeptical Congress, President Barack Obama will pitch at least $300 billion in jobs proposals aimed at getting Americans back to work quickly and forcing Republicans to take a share of the responsibility for solving the country's economic woes.
- 26 Jul 2011:"Skyworks exceeded all key metrics last quarter and we see a steep growth trajectory heading into the second half of calendar 2011," said David J. Aldrich, president and CEO of Skyworks.
- 14 Jul 2011:HTC appoints Jason Mackenzie to newly-created position of president for global sales and marketing (July 13) - Company releasePrior to HTC, Mackenzie held a progression of sales and marketing positions with DENSO Wireless and Siemens Communications, concluding as Vice President for Siemens Communications.
- 13 Jul 2011:Toshiba President Norio Sasaki also said the company is gaining on South Korea's Samsung Electronics in terms of flash memory global market share, though warned that the rivalry could undercut prices.
- EuroBLECH 2016 reflects trend towards smart manufacturing in sheet metal working
- Advantest rated as Advanced Masks Technology Center GmbH & Co. KG's (AMTC) best supplier 2015 for the second year in a row
- CAYIN to rollout system software upgrade and new product line
- Advantest introduces V93000 wave scale cards for cost-effective testing of current and next-generation RF semiconductors
- Computer-on-modules deliver an ideal solution for Industry 4.0 intelligent automation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...