- 2 Jun 2015:Bayer has announced that the new name of its MaterialScience business will be Covestro. It will be effective on September 1, 2015. Bayer intends to float Covestro on the stock market by mid-2016 at the latest.
- A San Francisco recycling centre is seeking a woman who may have handed over a rare Apple I computer by mistake.
- 28 May 2015:Daimler and Qualcomm announce strategic collaboration on connected car technologies (May 24) - Company releaseIn the first phase of the collaboration, the companies will focus on transforming future vehicles with mobile technologies that enhance in-car experiences and vehicle performance such as 3G/4G connectivity, wireless charging technology for in-vehicle use and implementation of the Qualcomm Halo Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging (WEVC) technology.
- Chip maker Avago Technologies is in advanced talks to buy rival Broadcom in a deal worth about US$35 billion, the latest in a wave of takeovers for the companies that supply parts to power smartphones, tablets and other gadgets.
- 27 May 2015:Failing to find viable buyers, the debt-ridden South Korean smartphone-maker Pantech has decided to end court receivership.
- South Korea confirmed a fourth case of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) on Tuesday, saying a daughter of the third patient was found to have been infected with the viral virus.
- NVIDIA reiterates for the second time in three months that TSMC is their primary manufacturing partner as they head towards 16nm, and even 10nm production.
- Japanese stocks climbed for a seventh day, buoyed by carmakers, after the nation's exports rose more than forecast and expectations for an US interest-rate increase this year weakened the yen.
- China's Spreadtrum Communications will use Intel's 14nm FinFET process technology for both the low- and high-end mobile chips the company plans to launch in 2016, according to Spreadtrum chairman and CEO Leo Li.
- 26 May 2015:The next-generation iPhone will reportedly sport a camera with a 12-megapixel Sony sensor that makes use of the firm's RGBW technology to help with low-light photography.
- Employment in the global renewable energy industry has increased by over one million jobs during the past year, according to a new report released by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA). 7.7 million people are now employed in renewable energy, an 18 percent increase on last year's 6.5 million.
- Even as the total sales volume of flat panel TV continues to slow down in key Asian markets, consumer demand for Ultra HD models has spiked 'exponentially' in the past year, says research firm GfK.
- His name previously came to prominence during an Apple v Samsung patent fight in 2012, when court filings revealed he had played a key role in the design of the original iPhone.
- French shoppers have become the first to experience a new LED lighting system that sends special offers and location data to their smartphones.
- But what would it take to get an actual OLED display inside the iPhone? Recall in January, Japanese media reports stated Apple has contracted both Foxconn and Innolux to build a $2.6 billion plant to manufacture not only flexible OLED displays for wearable devices, but also five-inch OLED smartphone displays.
- 25 May 2015:
- The deal brings together HP with the investment arm of China's Tsinghua University in a joint venture called H3C, worth $4.5bn.
- Globalfoundries offers new low-power 28nm solution for high-performance mobile and IoT applications (May 20) - Company releaseGlobalfoundries has announced it is offering a 28nm High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) radio frequency (RF) process technology that will provide power-efficient solutions for highly integrated mobile applications and connected devices.
- Samsung was shy on specs, but said the process node will be in full production by the end of 2016, about the same time as its rival TSMC.
- 21 May 2015:Huawei and Qualcomm jointly complete CAT11-based 3CC CA+256QAM test, reaching 600 Mbit/s rate - Company releaseHuawei and Qualcomm Technologies, a subsidiary of Qualcomm, have jointly announced the completion of tests using LTE CAT11 terminals.
- 20 May 2015:James Xiong, CEO of a startup called 3Wearable Technology, is obsessed with the smartwatch.
- The US has charged six Chinese nationals over the alleged theft of technology used in mobile phones. The six, including three university professors, are accused of using the technology to benefit universities and companies controlled by Beijing.
- Seagate partners with QNAP to showcase high-speed thunderbolt NAS, virtualization solutions and new QTS 4.2 OS at Computex 2015
- Clientron reveals its brand new all-in-one POS terminal - Wing650
- ThroughTek to showcase partner solutions at Computex 2015
- Launching custom-made projector LED light sources, shaping up speedy service model
- Sidekick at the 2015 SIA new product showcase in ISC West won award
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
- Digitimes Research: Six 2-in-1 Chromebooks scheduled for 2015 to tackle non-education markets
- Demand for overclocking surges in the face of declining desktop market, says HWinsights
- Is Japan losing its influence in global semiconductor market?, asks IC Insights
Networking is a hot topic these days, whether it is connecting all devices in the Internet of Things...
One thing that everyone can agree on is that the IT industry is all about change. But the more things...
As one of the top vendors in the desktop motherboard industry, Gigabyte Technology has grown its business...
Global demand for LED lighting will peak in 2018, with LED applications to acount for 70% of all lighting...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...