- 18 Dec 2014:While OLED technology is increasingly being applied to things like electronic gadget displays and TVs, it can also serve as an efficient and aesthetically-pleasing form of lighting.
- 11 Dec 2014:On a busy road in the center of town here, a string of green lights embedded in the bike path - the "Green Wave" - flashes on, helping cyclists avoid red traffic lights.
- 3 Dec 2014:Sedna Lighting sees uptick in LED lighting retrofit projects for retail lighting (Dec 1) - LEDs MagazineCardiff based LED lighting manufacturer Sedna Lighting has been supplying lighting to retailers for years but has noticed a recent surge in demand - echoed by many big names leading the way with lighting upgrades in their flagship stores.
- The flat-panel lighting tech is for sale at Home Depot starting at $200, providing a new energy-efficient alternative to LED lights.
- 8 Nov 2014:GT Advanced COO: Apple told us 'put on your big boy pants and accept the agreement' (Nov 7) - Mac RumorsApple and GT Advanced fought to keep key documents related to their sapphire agreement out of the public eye after the latter company filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection, but earlier this week, a judge ruled that the documents did not contain trade secrets or confidential information, and would thus be largely unsealed.
- 5 Nov 2014:GT Advanced Technologies has announced a multi-year, US$578 million contract with Apple to supply advanced sapphire material.
- 31 Oct 2014:'Lighting Season' begins Sunday: What better time to buy a LED bulb and save over US$125? (Oct 30) - Huffington PostTo help ensure you're getting a good quality LED bulb, buy one that has the ENERGY STAR label on the box.
- LED retrofits are sometimes likened to the "Trojan Horse" of the Internet of things. Because many fixtures are intelligent, they are capable of collecting data that could be used far more broadly than just for lighting applications.
- 28 Oct 2014:Samsung Electronics said on Monday that it will cease its LED lighting business outside of South Korea, scaling back what was identified as a key growth business just four years ago.
- 24 Oct 2014:The research groups of Organometallic Chemistry and Homogeneous Catalysis and Photovoltaic and Optoelectronic Devices at the Universitat Jaume I, UJI, have developed new organic compounds characterized by a higher modularity, stability and efficiency, which could be applicable in the semiconductors industry for using them in electronics or lighting.
- 8 Oct 2014:The 2014 Nobel Prize for physics has been awarded to a trio of scientists in Japan and the US for the invention of blue light emitting diodes (LEDs).
- GT Advanced Technologies Inc and its subsidiaries file for bankruptcy court protection under Chapter 11 - Company releaseGT Advanced Technologies Expects to continue "business as usual" with about US$85 million of cash on the balance sheet and plans to obtain debtor-in-possession financing.
- 3 Oct 2014:Sports stadiums embrace the advantages of LED lights (Oct 2) - The Washington Post (via The Standard)For years, sports stadiums have used metal halide lights to illuminate playing surfaces. But now, arenas are turning to LED lights, which have already made inroads in everything from city street lights to Christmas lights.
- 30 Sep 2014:Let there be (OLED) light: Startup sees bright future in organic diodes (Sep 29) - Financial Times (USE The Financial Times)Michael Helander wants to revolutionize commercial lighting and advanced manufacturing - but first, he'd like to sell you this lamp.
- 19 Sep 2014:LG Chemical, part of the LG Group and South Korea's largest chemical company, has developed a super-efficient OLED light panel capable of matching the performance of traditional LED offerings currently on the market.
- 29 Aug 2014:IKEA has invested in a Scottish company that specialises in energy efficient LED lighting technologies.
- 22 Jul 2014:OLCA established to facilitate Taiwan's OLED lighting firms (July 20) - China Post (USE The China Post)Eyeing the US$5.6 billion indoor lighting business, the Organic Light-emitting Diode Lighting Commercialization Alliance (OLCA) was recently established with a view to facilitating OLED industry development in Taiwan.
- 9 Jul 2014:Philips mentioned that it will explore strategic options to attract capital from third-party investors for the business. It stated as well that it intends to maintain a minority interest in Cree.
- 30 Jun 2014:Philips said Monday it is seeking investors for its Lumileds and automotive lighting business, which it plans to turn into a stand-alone company within the main group.
- 27 Jun 2014:Spending watchdog criticises ministers over £16 billion renewable energy deals (June 27) - The GuardianA parliamentary spending watchdog warns today that the government may have handed benefits to corporate power providers at the expense of consumers by awarding £16.6bn of renewable energy contracts without putting them out to competitive tender.
- 20 Jun 2014:With a price war underway, the Chinese are taking share from top players in the United States, Europe and Japan, the industry pioneers that made crucial technological breakthroughs, and from Taiwan and South Korea, previously the leaders in low-priced LEDs.
- 17 Apr 2014:The tail lights on most existing cars leave a lot to be desired: they're big, power-hungry and need reflectors to be visible from all angles.
- 28 Mar 2014:Philips adds 3D-printed luminaires, all-white bulbs and wireless switch to 'hue' lineup (March 27) - Apple InsiderPhilips on Friday announced three new products hue wireless lighting ecosystem, including 3D-printed art-like luminaires, dimmable white-only hue lux bulbs and a unique battery-free wireless light switch called the hue tap.
- 24 Feb 2014:Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth claims that Apple has acquired a large supply of sapphire displays, possibly alluding to displays with sapphire material that would be used on a future Apple iPhone.
- 13 Feb 2014:Chipmaker Microchip Technology said it would buy Supertex for US$394 million in cash to bolster its business that supplies to the medical, LED lighting, industrial and telecommunication industries.
- 6 Feb 2014:Lights are no longer just for lighting.
- 28 Jan 2014:Here's a bulb you might think about licking rather than lighting. Philips's cut the weight of its new SlimStyle lamp down to about three ounces by eliminating the heat sink found in most other LED lamps.
- 16 Jan 2014:Visitors to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow this summer will find a city transformed by the £0.5bn poured into new sporting venues and beefing up the city's infrastructure.
- 10 Jan 2014:Separating Myth From Fact on CFL and LED Light Bulbs: Five Concerns Addressed (Jan 8) - National GeographicA recent post on the U.S. phase-out of 40- and 60-watt low-efficiency incandescent light bulbs, which became official January 1, elicited a lot of response from readers.
- At last year's CES, Belkin introduced its WeMo Light Switch, and this year the company is trying to make smart lighting even more of a no-brainer with its new LED Lighting Starter Set.
- 26 Dec 2013:Sony and Panasonic said on Wednesday that they will end joint development of organic light emitting diode (OLED) television screens.
- 6 Nov 2013:GT Advanced Technologies signs multi-year sapphire materials agreement With Apple (Nov 4) - Company releaseGTAT will own and operate ASF furnaces and related equipment to produce the materials at an Apple facility in Arizona.
- 15 Oct 2013:These "so-called" LED TVs use a series of LED bulbs to light up the screen. But what is backlighting anyway?
- 30 Sep 2013:One problem in developing more efficient organic LED light bulbs and displays for TVs and phones is that much of the light is polarized in one direction and thus trapped within the LED. University of Utah physicists believe they have solved the problem by creating a new organic molecule that is shaped like rotelle -- wagon-wheel pasta -- rather than spaghetti.
- 23 Sep 2013:Ephesus Lighting CFO Mike Lorenz discusses recent trends in LED lighting with Pimm Fox on Bloomberg Television's "Taking Stock."
- The iPhone is like an old house - just when you think you know all its secrets, you discover something new hidden away where you'd never think to look. One of the lesser-known functions of this popular smartphone is the LED light, located next to the camera on iPhone models 4 through 5S.
- 12 Sep 2013:Cree TW LED bulb: California demands maximum light quality, Cree delivers for less than $20 (Sep 10) - ExtremeTechCree's LED bulb has been out for six months now and it's already a huge hit.
- 10 Sep 2013:The first factor is that the body of LED light is very small and compacted. The LED has been products by small and fine chips which have been encapsulated in transparent epoxy so it is very small and lightweight. In that kind of situation, the production and application of the LED light products such as LED high bay lights can help people save a lot of material and space.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) headquarters, a leased facility in Washington, D.C., has been outfitted with energy-saving CR Series LED Troffers by Cree.
- 6 Sep 2013:NliteN makes helping the environment as easy as changing a lightbulb. The company launched an Indiegogo campaign today for its LED light bulb that uses 80% less energy than 60 watt incandescent lightbulbs.
- Indium Corporation Features Heat-Spring for LED Manufacturing at IMAPS 2015
- Launching custom-made projector LED light sources, shaping up speedy service model
- Epistar promotes Co-activation Service, adopts DoB with HV chips to win over lighting brands
- ALT MR16 gets UL for testing in enclosed fixtures
- Genesis Photonics finds way to Blue Ocean through high-power, flip-chip LED technology
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Philips makes wise move selling Lumileds stake
- Digitimes Research: TSMC SSL merger to enhance Epistar in the LED market
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Apple-GTAT partnership to drive sapphire demand
- Commentary: Taiwan to benefit from common LED lighting standards in Greater China
- Linear announces synchronous buck LED driver controller
- iWatt targets high power density in ultra-small overall adapter size with new devices
- ViewSonic announces ultra-portable LED projector line
- Chimei expects LED models to account for over 30% of its monitor revenues in 2010
- Photonics Festival in Taiwan: Everlight showcases LED agriculture lamps
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Global demand for LED lighting will peak in 2018, with LED applications to acount for 70% of all lighting...
With the global LED lighting application market taking off, and business opportunities emerging fast,...
US-based Cree will invest US$83 million to take a 13.32% stake in Taiwan-based Lextar Electronics,...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...
- Overview of LCD TV market - May 2010
When the economic recession hit at the end of 2008, the LCD TV market seemed to be heading toward a doomsday scenario in 2009; however, demand turned out to be...
- Taiwan's display system makers - Jun 2007
In addition to pure display makers such as Amtran, Chi Mei, HANNspree, Taiwan-based home appliance makers such as Tatung, Proton, Kolin, several major IT makers...
- Taiwan's display system makers - Jun 2006
Taiwan-based display makers come from a variety of areas in the IT industry, from Compal, which is best known for producing notebooks, to Premier, which also produces...