- 12 May 2014:
- 1 Apr 2014:Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC), the world's biggest contract chipmaker, is expected to expand its global market share to more than 50 percent this year and to 60 percent in the next few years, benefiting primarily from its leadership position in advanced technologies, Credit Suisse AG said yesterday.
- Taiwan's semiconductor pioneer Morris Chang on Thursday said the protracted protest against the trade pact with Beijing is casting a gloom over the nation's future, calling for a rational and peaceful solution.
- 7 Mar 2014:STMicroelectronics and rivals such as NXP Semiconductor and Qualcomm are battling to be picked to provide the brains for the various products in the hot segment.
- 27 Feb 2014:GCT Semiconductor has licensed the Cadence Tensilica ConnX BBE16 digital signal processing (DSP) core for a next-generation chipset targeting mobile applications.
- 25 Feb 2014:RF Micro Devices and TriQuint Semiconductor have announced a definitive merger agreement under which the companies will combine in an all-stock transaction. To reflect the nature of this transaction as a merger of equals, the new company will have a new name and shared leadership team.
- 19 Feb 2014:South Korean multinational conglomerates Samsung and LG are considering setting up units to manufacture electronic chips in India, following the government's clearance to build two such semiconductor units.
- 13 Feb 2014:
- 10 Feb 2014:IBM is exploring a sale of its semiconductor business in what would be its most significant strategic move since it faced a financial crisis in the early 1990s.
- 2 Jan 2014:eMemory and Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) plan to expand the deployment of their current collaboration on SMIC's eNVM platform development. The platform covers both one time programmable (OTP) and multiple times programmable (MTP) eNVM technologies, such as NeoBit, NeoFuse, NeoEE and NeoMTP, across a wide range of technology nodes ranging from 0.35-micron to 40nm.
- 20 Dec 2013:A plant of Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) was ordered to shut down Friday by the Kaohsiung Environmental Protection Bureau for multiple violations of regulations governing the discharge of industrial wastewater.
- 17 Dec 2013:MagnaChip Semiconductor has completed qualification of 0.18-micron EEPROM IP developed in partnership with eMemory Technology, a Taiwan-based non-volatile memory (NVM) IP provider.
- 3 Dec 2013:The IMEC research center has demonstrated a new FinFET using III-V compound semiconductor material produced on 300mm wafers. This is the first time that such transistors have been produced.
- 27 Nov 2013:Japan's Panasonic will sell three domestic semiconductor factories to Israel's TowerJazz as early as the current business year ending March, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said, bringing the embattled electronics giant closer to completing the overhaul of its loss-making businesses.
- 19 Nov 2013:Dongbu Group will sell off its core unit Dongbu HiTek, a silicon foundry that makes integrated circuits for other companies under contract, as a way to quell market concerns about the group's financial future.
- 18 Nov 2013:German semiconductor maker Infineon Technologies has reported higher revenues in the fourth fiscal quarter and forecast an increase in revenues for fiscal 2014.
- 11 Nov 2013:The semiconductor industry is in a standoff over the next big thing - 3D chip stacks. Someone needs to blink before the technology will be viable for creating the next generation of high-performance, low-power systems.
- 1 Nov 2013:Activist investor Starboard Value LP asked TriQuint Semiconductor to consider selling or restructuring its mobile power amplifier business, which it said was a drag on the radio frequency chipmaker's share price.
- 24 Oct 2013:Japanese consumer electronics giant Panasonic will slash its 14,000-strong chipmaking workforce by half and possibly sell some of its plants, the Nikkei business daily reported Wednesday.
- 14 Oct 2013:The Advanced Patterning Center will offer the global semiconductor ecosystem crucial patterning knowledge for sub-10nm technologies.
- 1 Oct 2013:Samsung Electronics has begun commissioning equipment orders for its newly constructed semiconductor plant in Xian, China.
- 23 Sep 2013:Dialog Semi PWM controller IC lowers cost and standby power in smartphone power supplies (September 17) - Company releaseDialog Semiconductor has launched what it claims is the industry's first digital pulse width modulation (PWM) controller that can easily and efficiently drive low-cost, 10W power bipolar junction transistor (BJT) switches to reduce the BOM cost in 5V/2A smartphone adapters and chargers.
- Two consortiums, including IBM and STMicroelectronics, have proposed building semiconductor wafer plants in India costing a total of $8 billion, a minister said after the government approved concessions to lure chipmakers.
- 22 Aug 2013:Micron Semiconductor Asia is laying off some 150 staff in Singapore. That is about 2% of its 7,500-strong workforce here.
- 14 Aug 2013:Intel has confirmed that it acquired last month Fujitsu Semiconductor Wireless Products, the Tempe, Ariz.-based subsidiary of Fujitsu that developed an advanced multimode LTE RF transceiver. The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- 29 Jul 2013:When he founded Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) in 1987, Morris Chang recalls, "Nobody thought we were going anywhere."
- 24 Jul 2013:
- 22 Jul 2013:Nova Measuring Instruments, the Israeli maker of equipment for semiconductor manufacturing, rebounded in New York after the chief executive officer said he's confident its largest customer won't pare back orders.
- 12 Jul 2013:Applied Materials demonstrates momentum for profitable growth in mobile era (July 8) - Company releaseConsumer demand for sophisticated mobile devices creates profitable growth opportunities for Applied's semiconductor and display equipment businesses.
- 19 Jun 2013:Both Toshiba and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) have developed mask read-only memories (MROMs) that can offer greater data density by storing multiple bits per cell.
- 6 Jun 2013:Japan's NHK network is scheduled to broadcast an animated documentary on TSMC at midnight Thursday, with TSMC's chairman and CEO, Morris Chang, depicted by the fictional character Shima Kosaku.
- 3 Jun 2013:IC Insights has lowered its 2013 IC market growth forecast 1pp to 5%.
- 28 May 2013:Worldwide semiconductor revenues decreased by 2.2% to US$295 billion in 2012, according to IDC.
- 8 May 2013:IC Insights forecasts that in 2017, fabless IC companies will command at least one-third (33%) of the total IC market.
- 30 Apr 2013:SK Hynix Semiconductor will be supplying Samsung Electronics with memory chips as early as June, industry sources said on Monday. The firm will supply enough to make up 20% of Samsung's mobile business.
- 15 Apr 2013:After strong gains in 2010 and 2011, power transistor sales fell more than 8% in 2012 to US$12.3 billion primarily due to weak economic growth and high levels of uncertainty, which caused equipment makers to rein in semiconductor purchases, according to IC Insights.
- 10 Apr 2013:Data from Chinese semiconductor industry sources identifies Allwinner as, by far, the number one apps processor supplier for Chinese tablets in 2012, followed by Rockchip, ViaTech, Amlogic and Vimicro.
- 9 Apr 2013:Worldwide semiconductor revenues reached US$299.9 billion in 2012, down 2.6% from 2011, according to Gartner.
- 1 Apr 2013:Lenovo, which has maintained a small IC design team consisting of about 10 people over the last decade, is now committed to expanding this team to about 100 engineers by the middle of 2013, according to a China-based industry source with direct knowledge of the company's recruitment of chip designers.
- 28 Mar 2013:Samsung Semiconductor is moving swiftly to begin work on a new 680,000-square-foot office project that will be built on its existing 215,000-square-foot office complex at North First Street and West Tasman Drive.
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan digital camera shipments in 2Q14 up 43.3% sequentially
- Digitimes Research: Smartphone AP shipments in China to grow 2H14
- Digitimes Research: Taiwan makers ship over 67 million large-size TFT-LCD panels in 2Q14
- Digitimes Research: China sees increased tablet AP shipments in 2Q14
- ABB and Volvo form global partnership for electric and hybrid bus fast-charging
- Accurate Analysis of Multi-Gigabit Systems Using HSPICE
- GIGABYTE's EasyTune App makes overclocking a breeze on new Intel Pentium Anniversary Edition CPUs
- OAXIS adds a second E Ink screen to your smartphone with launch of InkCase+ on Kickstarter
- Indium announces RMA-155 Pb-Free Solder Paste
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: On-cell touch panels unlikely to win favor in high-end smartphones in 2014
- Digitimes Research: Hisilicon AP to give Huawei cost advantage in high-end mobile device market
- Commentary: Panel makers need to be more active in developing products
- Digitimes Research: Google looking to clean up Android device mess in emerging markets
- Digitimes Research: Youngfast, Melfas looking beyond G1F touch
MediaTek has taken up to 60% of the 3G handset solution market in China, pushing the market value of...
AMD has been reorganizing its businesss, such as moving its desktop business headquarters to Beijing,...
Intel president Renee James, during a recent interview, told Digitimes that the company and its partners...
According to a recent IDC research note, the transition toward mobile and cloud-based computing is...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...