- 5 Jul 2016:Developed by Prof. Daniel Sanchez and team, Swarm is a 64-core chip that includes specialised circuitry for both executing and prioritizing tasks in a simple and efficient manner.
- 27 Jun 2016:State-backed Chinese technology group Tsinghua Holdings plans to spend $7.5 billion on research and development over the next five years, accelerating China's drive to build a high-value semiconductor industry to challenge global chipmaking rivals.
- 20 Jun 2016:Operations at Samsung Electronics' semiconductor plant in China were disrupted on Saturday following a blast at a local power station.
- 17 Jun 2016:Advantest has installed its 800th V93000 Port Scale RF test system, with the landmark unit going into the production facility of Jiangsu Changjiang Electronics Technology (JCET), a leading Chinese semiconductor packaging assembly and test company.
- 15 Jun 2016:The announcement comes after Korean news media reported that Samsung is planning to invest around KRW25 trillion (US$21.2 billion)- some claimed KRW2.5 trillion - to beef up its production lines for 3D NAND flash memory in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province.
- 20 May 2016:Applied Materials said orders hit a 15-year high in its latest quarter, prompting the maker of semiconductor manufacturing tools to project a major rebound in its business later in 2016 as those transactions are completed.
- 17 May 2016:Power semiconductor and power supply vendors are poised to cash in on strong growth anticipated for LED lighting in coming years, according to the latest forecast from market research firm IHS.
- 10 May 2016:GSA announces appointment of Leo Li as chairman of the GSA board of directors (May 9) - Company releaseThe GSA Board chairman is a coveted position throughout the industry reserved for the most innovative leaders who represent the semiconductor industry's most active global regions. Dr. Li will be the first chairman to serve from mainland China.
- 18 Apr 2016:The Kumamoto Prefecture is relatively small, contributing only 1.1% of Japan's GDP. But it is home to several semiconductor production plants and is sometimes called Japan's Silicon Island.
- 17 Apr 2016:Tsinghua Unigroup Chairman said the company has no intentions of buying Lattice Semiconductor after disclosing a 6% stake in the company.
- 14 Apr 2016:Samsung Electronics is widening its lead with competitors in the solid-state drive (SSD) market, which is considered a growing field in the NAND memory semiconductor industry, dominating the market.
- China's Tsinghua Unigroup unveiled a stake of roughly 6% in Lattice Semiconductor on Wednesday, sending shares of the US chip manufacturer soaring 18% on speculation of a possible acquisition.
- 5 Apr 2016:Intel executive Aicha Evans is leaving the company less than a year into her tenure as head of the semiconductor maker's struggling mobile phone division.
- 30 Mar 2016:Seoul Semiconductor announced that it has prevailed in a patent infringement lawsuit regarding LED backlight lens technology against Japanese lens maker Enplas.
- 28 Mar 2016:The semiconductor industry needs to consider new business models based on open source hardware, re-programmable silicon and Features-as-a-Service to drive its next phase of growth.
- 24 Mar 2016:Zhao Weiguo wants to create China's first giant in the global semiconductor industry and has a $30 billion investment plan to do it.
- 18 Mar 2016:Shares of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company hit a new 52-week high of US$25.80 on Mar 16, eventually closing at US$25.78.
- 15 Mar 2016:The laptops-to-nuclear conglomerate said it had overstated past profits by JPY5.8 billion (US$51.30 million) on a pretax basis due to seven new accounting errors, on top of the 224.8 billion in overstated profits it has already announced.
- 2 Mar 2016:The news follows Cisco's Tuesday announcement of the acquisition of Cliqr Technologies for about $260 million to enhance offerings in cloud computing management software and services. Leaba's website doesn't elaborate on what its technology provides, but Ynet said it allowed for more efficient and intelligent routing of Internet traffic.
- 19 Feb 2016:Intel manufacturing chief Bill Holt retiring amid historic transition in chip technology (Feb 18) - Oregon LiveIntel confirmed Thursday that longtime manufacturing chief Bill Holt is retiring, announcing he will leave in June amid an unprecedented transition in semiconductor technology.
- The semiconductor industry, which has used the observation made by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore as its target development in recent decades, is now set to abandon the approach.
- 27 Jan 2016:The Shanghai Integrated Circuit Investment Fund (SICIF) has announced a plan to invest CNY20 billion (US$3 billion) in foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) and two other Shanghai-based chip manufacturers, according to a Moody's Investors Service report.
- STMicroelectronics said it will shut down its set-top-box chip business and eliminate or redeploy 2,000 jobs as Chief Executive Officer Carlo Bozotti seeks to cut losses at the unprofitable unit. Shares of Europe's biggest semiconductor maker jumped.
- 20 Jan 2016:Microchip Technology has signed a deal to buy Atmel, which said last week that Microchip's unsolicited bid was superior to an agreement with Dialog Semiconductor.
- 15 Jan 2016:Dialog Semiconductor said it won't raise bid for Atmel, improving the likelihood that Microchip Technology's offer for Atmel will succeed.
- 8 Jan 2016:ON Semiconductor on Wednesday said it extended its tender offer for Fairchild Semiconductor International until Jan. 20 but didn't raise its offer of $20 a share, which remains below a competing bid.
- A secretive Amazon.com unit broke its silence Wednesday about plans to market computer chips and related components to other companies.
- 30 Dec 2015:A state-controlled Chinese company's plan to invest about $2 billion in the Taiwanese semiconductor industry has intensified election-year concerns in Taiwan that could set back China's ambitions to develop a leading-edge microchip industry.
- Intel's $16.7bn purchase of programmable chipmaker Altera is likely to be a model for future big acquisitions at the company as the semiconductor industry's merger boom continues, according to the US company's chief dealmaker.
- 27 Dec 2015:The chief executive of semiconductor maker Renesas Electronics abruptly resigned Friday six months after he took the post, a move that comes as the company's principal shareholder considers strategic options.
- 22 Dec 2015:ATREG, a specialist vendor of wafer fabs and other technology assets, has been retained by Cypress Semiconductor to help sell its 200mm wafer fab in Bloomington, Minnesota.
- 17 Dec 2015:Ampleon: A new RF power semi company is born following NXP-Freescale merger (Dec 9) - IHS Electronics360Ampleon has formed its global business operations following the successful acquisition of the RF Power business line by Jianguang Asset Management from NXP Semiconductors. The formation of Ampleon followed the completion of the merger between NXP and Freescale Semiconductor, in an $11.8 billion deal.
- It has been found that Chinese companies in the LCD and semiconductor industries are trying to acquire Korean firms in partnership with Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix as well as technical engineers.
- 16 Dec 2015:Microchip Technology is the semiconductor manufacturer which made the $3.8 billion unsolicited offer for peer Atmel that was disclosed last week, a person familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
- 15 Dec 2015:A group led by China Resources Holdings' semiconductor arm and Hua Capital Management has made an offer for Fairchild Semiconductor. That bid followed a November agreement with ON Semiconductor to buy Fairchild for $2.4 billion.
- Apple buys former Maxim chip fab in North San Jose, neighboring Samsung Semiconductor (Dec 14) - Apple InsiderApple just paid $18.2 million for a small 70,000 square foot silicon chip fab, formerly owned by Samsung, located in North San Jose, California, about a 20 minute drive from its current Infinite Loop headquarters in Cupertino.
- Semiconductor industry business leaders predict that the number of mergers and acquisitions in 2016 will match or exceed 2015, according to an annual survey of semiconductor industry business leaders conducted by business consultancy and auditor KPMG LLP.
- 2 Dec 2015:China's unabashed interest in foreign chipmakers in an already record year of deals has been quickly read by rivals as a sign that mergers and acquisitions (M&As) will get more competitive and target companies will get more expensive.
- 30 Nov 2015:Integrated Device Technology (IDT) has announced an agreement to acquire privately held ZMDI (Zentrum Mikroelektronik Dresden) for total consideration of US$310 million in cash. The acquisition provides IDT with a highly regarded Automotive & Industrial business, and extends their technology leadership in high performance programmable power devices and timing & signal conditioning.
- Toshiba on Friday said it is considering selling a minority stake in its semiconductor business to raise funds in the wake of a drawn-out accounting scandal.
- EuroBLECH 2016 reflects trend towards smart manufacturing in sheet metal working
- Advantest rated as Advanced Masks Technology Center GmbH & Co. KG's (AMTC) best supplier 2015 for the second year in a row
- CAYIN to rollout system software upgrade and new product line
- Advantest introduces V93000 wave scale cards for cost-effective testing of current and next-generation RF semiconductors
- Computer-on-modules deliver an ideal solution for Industry 4.0 intelligent automation
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
Qualcomm president Derek Aberle spared his time with Digitimes for an exclusive interview...
Gaming notebooks have become the main focus of Gigabyte Technology's notebook department and despite...
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...