- 2 Jan 2014:Toshiba and SK Hynix will begin joint production of next-generation memory chips as early as fiscal 2016, bringing them to market ahead of US firm Micron Technology, The Nikkei learned Wednesday.
- 23 Dec 2013:An executive of SK hynix said Thursday the firm will cooperate with Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to supply highly-advanced chips for data-intensive devices.
- 18 Dec 2013:SK Hynix plans to build a new factory in South Korea to meet the growing demand for mobile devices, according to two people familiar with the matter.
- 1 Oct 2013:SK Hynix is considering signing a cross-licensing deal on memory chip patents with Micron Technology.
- 5 Sep 2013:SK Hynix Inc said on Wednesday it had suspended operations at its China plant, which produces around 12% of global computer memory chips, because of a fire.
- 22 Aug 2013:
- 3 Jul 2013:The two companies have reached an agreement to share patents for chipmaking technologies.
- 25 Jun 2013:Toshiba also may be among the initial customers since the three companies partner with SK Hynix on the development of resistive random access memory, or ReRam.
- 13 Jun 2013:SK Hynix has signed a five-year licensing deal worth US$240 million to settle an ongoing patent infringement lawsuit brought against it by intellectual property licensing firm Rambus.
- 30 Apr 2013:SK Hynix Semiconductor will be supplying Samsung Electronics with memory chips as early as June, industry sources said on Monday. The firm will supply enough to make up 20% of Samsung's mobile business.
- 26 Apr 2013:For the first time, the company that makes more than half the world's mobile DRAM chips may buy them from SK Hynix, said Shin Jong Kyun, head of Samsung's mobile business.
- 18 Apr 2013:Samsung Electronics is considering purchasing mobile memory chips from rival SK Hynix Inc for future products including its new flagship Galaxy S smartphone to be launched this month, JK Shin, head of Samsung's mobile business, said on Thursday.
- 26 Feb 2013:JEDEC Solid State Technology Association has announced that its board of directors appointed two new members, Jong H. Oh of SK hynix and Hung Vuong of Qualcomm.
- 20 Feb 2013:South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix has appointed its research and development (R&D) chief Park Sung-wook as the new chief executive.
- 4 Jan 2013:The company plans to produce three-dimensional (3D) flash memory chips using fine-tuned vertical-stacked-array-transistor (VSAT) technology.
- 2 Oct 2012:A HP executive recently said that the company has decided to postpone manufacturing commercial memristor-based ReRAM products until late 2013. The company originally planned to go into production during 2Q/3Q 2013.
- 8 Sep 2012:Apple instead picked Japan's Toshiba, Elpida Memory and Korea's SK Hynix to supply DRAM and NAND chips.
- 30 May 2012:A group of Elpida Memory bondholders opposes Micron Technology's offer to buy the bankrupt Japanese chipmaker as too low and has begun talks with SK hynix and Globalfoundries on an alternative plan, a source with direct knowledge of the matter said.
- 4 May 2012:Chip maker SK Hynix said in a regulatory filing that its shareholders have agreed to call off a bid for Elpida. There were no further details in the statement.
- 3 May 2012:The selection process for a sponsor to support the rehabilitation of Elpida Memory has reached its final stage. Micron Technology, SK Hynix and a consortium of US and Chinese investment funds are expected to participate in the second round of bidding, which will likely wrap up Friday.
- 30 Mar 2012:Hynix Semiconductor has submitted an initial proposal to bid for Elpida Memory, the Japanese chipmaker that filed for bankruptcy last month. Hiynix said in a regulatory filing that it will decide whether to make a final bid after due diligence.
- 13 Mar 2012:Hynix Semiconductor said the chip industry is set to recover from the second half of this year as the prices of DRAM chips have been rebounding following news of Japanese chip maker Elpida Memory's bankruptcy protection filing late last month.
- 22 Feb 2012:The US Supreme Court Tuesday refused to consider a Hynix Semiconductor appeal that argued Rambus shouldn't be able to enforce certain patents because it misled an organization that sets industry-wide standards for computer memory chips.
- 17 Feb 2012:Hynix Semiconductor said Thursday a US court has ruled in its favor in an antitrust claim filed by Rambus against the South Korean chipmaker.
- 15 Feb 2012:Hynix Semiconductor jumped to an eight-month high in Seoul trading after Hyundai Securities said contract prices for DRAM chips increased and as financing delays at Japan's Elpida Memory raised the prospect of less competition.
- 29 Dec 2011:SK Telecom won the antitrust regulator's approval to acquire a 21% stake in Hynix Semiconductor, bringing South Korea's biggest mobile-phone carrier one step closer to completing the transaction.
- 13 Dec 2011:20nm seems to be the new cutting-edge process for memory production, but Intel and Micron might be surprised to find Hynix has just surpassed them. The Korean manufacturer has used the IEDM to announce it has managed to manufacture middle-1Xnm-generation NAND flash.
- 6 Dec 2011:Hynix Semiconductor has set around KRW4 trillion (US$3.5 billion) for its 2012 capital expenditure, up 18% from the KRW3.4 trillion set for this year, an online news provider Edaily reported Thursday, citing industry sources.
- 17 Nov 2011:Decision reached in Rambus price fixing case against Hynix and Micron (November 16) - Company releaseRambus has announced the jury in its anti-trust case against Hynix Semiconductor and Micron Technology has found in favor of the defendants.
- 16 Nov 2011:iFixit's teardown shows an abundance of TI silicon, with flash memory storage and system memory from Samsung and Hynix, respectively.
- 15 Nov 2011:SK Telecom to pay KRW3.4 trillion for Hynix to take on Samsung (November 14) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)SK Telecom has agreed to pay KRW3.4 trillion (US$3.1 billion) for 21% of Hynix Semiconductor.
- 10 Nov 2011:SK Telecom has submitted a bid to buy 20% of Hynix Semiconductor amid a criminal investigation into whether the group's founding family misused funds.
- 7 Oct 2011:"We have a lot of big plans for it and we're working with Hynix Semiconductor to launch a replacement for flash in the summer of 2013 and also to address the solid-state drive market," said Stan Williams, senior fellow at HP Labs.
- 20 Sep 2011:SK Telecom left as sole bidder for Hynix after STX pulls out (September 19) - Bloomberg (via Businessweek)The South Korean shipbuilding and shipping group dropped out amid global economic uncertainties and concerns over investments needed to keep the chipmaker competitive, STX said in a statement.
- While many experts have expressed doubts about the ability of flash memory to scale and indicated the need for an alternative non-volatile memory technology, Hynix has just gone ahead and produced a 15nm NAND flash memory cell which it plans to unveil at this year's International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM).
- 26 Jul 2011:Korea Exchange Bank said in a statement that STX and SK Telecom, which both submitted their initial interest in a combined 15% stake, began six weeks of due diligence from Monday.
- 21 Jul 2011:"Demand growth is likely to be weaker than usual in the third quarter, as customers are delaying purchases due to slow global economic growth," Hynix said.
- 8 Jul 2011:STX Group, owner of the world's third-largest marine-engine maker, said it may team up with a Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund to bid for a stake in Hynix Semiconductor.
- 6 Jul 2011:Hyundai Heavy has announced it was dropping plans for a takeover of Hynix Semiconductor.
- 22 Jun 2011:Rambus played dirty in the market for PC memory chips and blames its competitors for the consequences of its own failed technology, lawyers for Hynix Semiconductor and Micron Technology said in court.
- Industry experts gathers at Intel IoT Asia to unveil the latest market trends
- Conquer Electronics' Innovation - Industrial Micro Fuses
- OSTAR Takes the Lead to Drive Smart Medical Applications
- Chilisin expanding via process capacity to handle surging orders for 0201 high-frequency chip inductors
- Last Mile to Conquer: Tatung's Bendable Optical Cables Cleverly Resolve Problems Related to Optical Fiber Establishment
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Digitimes Research: GTAT woes disrupt sapphire industry
- Digitimes Research: Enterprise segment to benefit, but PC segment to suffer from HP spin-off
- Digitimes Research: MediaTek, Rockchip to join Chromebook market
- Digitimes Research: China 4G smartphone demand fails to surge; CoolPad, Lenovo, Xiaomi unlikely to achieve 2014 targets
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to release new inexpensive notebook solution; unlikely to receive full support from vendors
US-based Cree will invest US$83 million to take a 13.32% stake in Taiwan-based Lextar Electronics,...
Karbonn, the second-largest India-based handset vendor, is looking into in-house production. Digitimes...
Sales of handsets in the India market reached 61.07 million units in the first quarter of 2014, with...
With increasing competition from AMOLED, TFT LCD display manufacturers are beginning to look to quantum...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...