- 24 Mar 2017:Micron shares jump as demand for memory chips leads to earnings beat (Mar 23) - Marketwatch.com (Dow Jones)Micron Technology gained more than 7% in late trading Thursday after the chipmaker reported better earnings than expected amid reported price hikes for its memory chips.
- 21 Mar 2017:The technology sector in China is still not sophisticated enough to compete with the US in the global chip market, the chairman of China's top contract chipmaker said on Tuesday.
- 8 Mar 2017:German-based chipmaker X-Fab Silicon Foundries SE expects to raise about EUR500 million ($530 million) via an initial public offering in order to fund its global production expansion.
- 1 Mar 2017:Despite a turbulent past, Windows PCs with ARM are making a grand return later this year, but only with Qualcomm chips. Another big ARM chipmaker, MediaTek, is sitting out the opportunity to put its ARM-based chips in Windows PCs because the company sees it as a limited opportunity.
- 18 Feb 2017:Infineon does not expect to be able to salvage its $850 million purchase of Cree's Wolfspeed Power, which is under US scrutiny over unspecified government security concerns, the German chipmaker said on Thursday.
- 2 Feb 2017:Shares of AMD, which had already risen more than fivefold since last February, jumped another 16% to over $12 on Wednesday after the company reported revenue for the fourth quarter and expected revenue for the first quarter above what analysts had expected.
- 26 Jan 2017:Qualcomm reported a lower-than-expected 3.9% rise in quarterly revenue on Wednesday, and defended its licensing model in the face of multiple legal challenges over its alleged "anticompetitive" tactics.
- Toshiba is expected to sell no more than 19.9% of the unit to be created in a spinoff of its memory chip operations.
- 14 Jan 2017:Momentum behind the push to transition the semiconductor industry to 450mm wafers - which seemed substantial just a few short years ago - now appears all but dead, at least for now.
- 12 Jan 2017:Corephotonics, an Israeli maker of dual camera technologies for smartphones, said on Wednesday it raised $15 million in a funding round that included Samsung Ventures, iPhone manufacturer Foxconn and chipmaker MediaTek.
- 4 Jan 2017:SoftBank has lined up chip maker Qualcomm as an investor in the Japanese firm's new technology fund, helping the massive portfolio reach its $100 billion goal, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 29 Nov 2016:Canyon Bridge Capital Partners, a buyout fund that agreed to acquire US-based chipmaker Lattice Semiconductor for $1.3 billion earlier this month, is funded partly by cash originating from China's central government and also has indirect links to its space program, Chinese corporate filings show.
- 24 Nov 2016:German chipmaker Infineon raised its medium-term profitability target on Wednesday, banking on strong growth in its automotive business as carmakers invest heavily on electric and self-driving vehicles.
- 22 Nov 2016:Analog chipmaker Macom Technology Solutions Holdings said on Monday it would buy fellow chipmaker Applied Micro Circuits for about $770 million to expand its data center connectivity business.
- 3 Nov 2016:Marvell Technology said it plans to eliminate 900 jobs as part of a restructuring designed to narrow the chip maker's focus on more profitable businesses.
- Smartphone chipmaker Qualcomm, which agreed to buy NXP Semiconductors for about US$38 billion last week, reported a better-than-expected 13.3% rise in quarterly revenue, helped by strong demand, particularly in China.
- 2 Nov 2016:Chipmaker Broadcom is nearing a deal to acquire network gear maker Brocade Communications Systems Inc in a deal that could be announced later this week, people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.
- 21 Oct 2016:Qualcomm is willing to offer 75 percent cash and 25 percent stock, while NXP reportedly prefers an all-cash offer.
- 11 Oct 2016:Conventional silicon-based electronics are rapidly approaching a fundamental barrier. Below about five nanometers, quantum effects make their behavior unpredictable. That's led to research into alternative materials such as carbon nanotubes. Now, a large collaboration has taken a different material-molybdenum disulfide, or MoS2-and used its distinctive properties to craft a transistor that has a gate size of just one nanometer.
- 7 Oct 2016:Qualcomm is the only company in talks to acquire NXP Semiconductors and is making progress toward an agreement with the Dutch chipmaker on a fair price, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- 5 Oct 2016:Hitachi is preparing to unload operations in power tools and semiconductor fabrication equipment, further narrowing its focus and resources with the aim of bolstering earning power in an uncertain global economy.
- 4 Oct 2016:Qualcomm has held early talks with several potential targets, including NXP Semiconductors and Xilinx.
- 13 Sep 2016:Renesas Electronics has agreed to buy US chipmaker Intersil for a total of $3.2 billion, as the Japanese chipmaker accelerates efforts to sell more automotive components.
- 22 Aug 2016:Japan's Renesas Electronics is in the final stages of negotiations to acquire US chipmaker Intersil for as much as JPY300 billion ($2.99 billion), the Nikkei business daily reported on Monday.
- 2 Aug 2016:GCS shares under pressure as deal with China's Sanan breaks down (Aug 2) - Focus Taiwan news channelShares of GCS Holding came under pressure Tuesday morning after a planned acquisition of GCS by China-based LED chipmaker Sanan Optoelectronics fell through, dealers said.
- 21 Jul 2016:Qualcomm's second-quarter results show the chipmaker is overcoming hurdles in China, while rival Intel faces fresh headwinds in servers -- the key to its profit.
- 15 Jul 2016:Infineon Technologies, Europe's biggest chipmaker by revenue, agreed to buy Cree's Wolfspeed Power unit for $850 million to expand in fast-growing markets such as electric cars, renewable energy and the Internet of Things.
- 12 Jul 2016:Financial research firm Cowen and Company believes Intel will supply Apple with 50% or more of the LTE modems needed for "iPhone 7," a win that could generate some $1.5 billion in incremental revenue over the next year for the chipmaker.
- 15 May 2016:China's Tsinghua Holdings has disclosed an unspecified investment in Marvell Technology Group, a Silicon Valley chipmaker that recently replaced its leadership team in the wake of an accounting investigation and other problems.
- 9 May 2016:Beleaguered chipmaker Marvell Technology has announced it is appointed tech turnaround expert Richard S. Hill to be the chairman of its board of directors.
- The company, which completed its nearly $12 billion acquisition of Freescale last year, told investors it expects to outperform its peers until 2019 by growing at a compound annual rate of between 5% and 7%.
- 26 Apr 2016:Exclusive: AMD's Sunnyvale campus selling to Irvine Company (Apr 22) - Silicon Valley/San Jose Business JournalAdvanced Micro Devices, the struggling computer chipmaker, has long been identified with its sprawling white campus in Sunnyvale, its 1990s-era curved lobby greeting drivers at 1090 E. Duane Ave. But it looks like AMD's days at the 319,000-square-foot campus are numbered. The Irvine Company is in contract to acquire the 32.5-acre site, where the Newport Beach-based developer could build hundreds of apartments, according to multiple real estate sources.
- 12 Apr 2016:Bunsei Kure, if approved, will be the third CEO of the troubled Japanese chip company, after Hisao Sakuta-who oversaw Renesas' restructuring and brought it back into the black. Sakuta stepped down a year ago.
- 31 Mar 2016:Multiple reports indicate Samsung's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are seeing stronger-than-expected initial sales.
- 28 Mar 2016:The semiconductor industry needs to consider new business models based on open source hardware, re-programmable silicon and Features-as-a-Service to drive its next phase of growth.
- 24 Mar 2016:Zhao Weiguo wants to create China's first giant in the global semiconductor industry and has a $30 billion investment plan to do it.
- 22 Mar 2016:Chipmaker Broadcom, the company created following the merger of Avago and Broadcom, said it would cut about 1,900 jobs globally across its businesses.
- 28 Jan 2016:The smartphone business is maturing and Qualcomm is feeling it.
- 27 Jan 2016:STMicroelectronics said it will shut down its set-top-box chip business and eliminate or redeploy 2,000 jobs as Chief Executive Officer Carlo Bozotti seeks to cut losses at the unprofitable unit. Shares of Europe's biggest semiconductor maker jumped.
- 23 Jan 2016:Xilinx shares are on the move Thursday-fully erasing January's 8.2% decline-following the chip maker's fiscal third-quarter report. But the results, solid as they were, aren't the reason.
- CAYIN's latest digital signage player debuts at InfoComm China 2017
- Advantest VOICE 2017 U.S. and China keynote speakers announced
- QSAN launches XS3200 series SAN storage systems for SMB/enterprise market
- UMC and Synopsys collaboration speeds 14-nm custom design
- Advantest and W2BI to Exhibit Advanced Test Solutions at Mobile World Congress
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: Samsung Note 7 issues may help Apple to regain number-1 crown in 4Q16
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
Kuka Robotics, as the world's leading maker of robots used in automobile manufacturing, has been making...
Germany's Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as Committee on Foreign Investment in...
Qualcomm agreed in late 2016 to buy NXP Semiconductor for about US$47 billion in the biggest-ever deal...
With 2015 being the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, one of the hottest topics that has continued to...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...