- 15 May 2016:China's Tsinghua Holdings has disclosed an unspecified investment in Marvell Technology Group, a Silicon Valley chipmaker that recently replaced its leadership team in the wake of an accounting investigation and other problems.
- 9 May 2016:Beleaguered chipmaker Marvell Technology has announced it is appointed tech turnaround expert Richard S. Hill to be the chairman of its board of directors.
- The company, which completed its nearly $12 billion acquisition of Freescale last year, told investors it expects to outperform its peers until 2019 by growing at a compound annual rate of between 5% and 7%.
- 26 Apr 2016:Exclusive: AMD's Sunnyvale campus selling to Irvine Company (Apr 22) - Silicon Valley/San Jose Business JournalAdvanced Micro Devices, the struggling computer chipmaker, has long been identified with its sprawling white campus in Sunnyvale, its 1990s-era curved lobby greeting drivers at 1090 E. Duane Ave. But it looks like AMD's days at the 319,000-square-foot campus are numbered. The Irvine Company is in contract to acquire the 32.5-acre site, where the Newport Beach-based developer could build hundreds of apartments, according to multiple real estate sources.
- 12 Apr 2016:Bunsei Kure, if approved, will be the third CEO of the troubled Japanese chip company, after Hisao Sakuta-who oversaw Renesas' restructuring and brought it back into the black. Sakuta stepped down a year ago.
- 31 Mar 2016:Multiple reports indicate Samsung's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge are seeing stronger-than-expected initial sales.
- 28 Mar 2016:The semiconductor industry needs to consider new business models based on open source hardware, re-programmable silicon and Features-as-a-Service to drive its next phase of growth.
- 24 Mar 2016:Zhao Weiguo wants to create China's first giant in the global semiconductor industry and has a $30 billion investment plan to do it.
- 22 Mar 2016:Chipmaker Broadcom, the company created following the merger of Avago and Broadcom, said it would cut about 1,900 jobs globally across its businesses.
- 28 Jan 2016:The smartphone business is maturing and Qualcomm is feeling it.
- 27 Jan 2016:STMicroelectronics said it will shut down its set-top-box chip business and eliminate or redeploy 2,000 jobs as Chief Executive Officer Carlo Bozotti seeks to cut losses at the unprofitable unit. Shares of Europe's biggest semiconductor maker jumped.
- 23 Jan 2016:Xilinx shares are on the move Thursday-fully erasing January's 8.2% decline-following the chip maker's fiscal third-quarter report. But the results, solid as they were, aren't the reason.
- 20 Jan 2016:Microchip Technology has signed a deal to buy Atmel, which said last week that Microchip's unsolicited bid was superior to an agreement with Dialog Semiconductor.
- 15 Jan 2016:Dialog Semiconductor said it won't raise bid for Atmel, improving the likelihood that Microchip Technology's offer for Atmel will succeed.
- 11 Jan 2016:Qualcomm has asked a US federal court to compel some of its biggest customers and competitors-including Apple and Samsung Electronics-to hand over any documents they provided to South Korean antitrust authorities investigating the US chipmaker.
- 30 Dec 2015:Toshiba, reeling from a $1.3 billion accounting scandal, said it intends to ask for a new JPY300 billion ($2.49 billion) credit line by the end of January to fund a large-scale restructuring.
- Intel's $16.7bn purchase of programmable chipmaker Altera is likely to be a model for future big acquisitions at the company as the semiconductor industry's merger boom continues, according to the US company's chief dealmaker.
- 16 Dec 2015:Qualcomm rejected calls to split itself in two, betting that keeping its chipmaking and patent licensing businesses together is the best formula for turning around an earnings slump and stock drop.
- 15 Dec 2015:A group led by China Resources Holdings' semiconductor arm and Hua Capital Management has made an offer for Fairchild Semiconductor. That bid followed a November agreement with ON Semiconductor to buy Fairchild for $2.4 billion.
- Semiconductor industry business leaders predict that the number of mergers and acquisitions in 2016 will match or exceed 2015, according to an annual survey of semiconductor industry business leaders conducted by business consultancy and auditor KPMG LLP.
- 9 Dec 2015:Qualcomm said Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission has launched an investigation into whether the chipmaker's patent licensing arrangements violate the Taiwan Fair Trade Act.
- 8 Dec 2015:Marvell Technology said two government agencies are investigating its accounting and other issues, adding to pressures facing the chip maker since its board launched an internal probe in September.
- 2 Dec 2015:China's unabashed interest in foreign chipmakers in an already record year of deals has been quickly read by rivals as a sign that mergers and acquisitions (M&As) will get more competitive and target companies will get more expensive.
- 1 Dec 2015:Abu Dhabi's investment arm is considering a sale of all or part of chipmaker Globalfoundries as the emirate explores asset disposals amid a slump in crude oil, people familiar with the matter said.
- 24 Nov 2015:European antitrust regulators cleared on Monday Avago Technologies planned US$37 billion takeover of rival chipmaker Broadcom without conditions.
- 20 Nov 2015:Texas Instruments, the biggest maker of analog chips, is in talks to acquire Maxim Integrated Products, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- Why Tsinghua Unigroup might buy a minority stake or get a joint venture with AMD (Nov 17) - Seeking AlphaI know Intel partnered up with Tsinghua Unigroup last year to buy a 20% stake in Chinese fabless chipmakers RDA Microlectronics and Spreadtrum. However, I do not think Intel would be a major partner in Tsinghua Unigroup's $47 billion plan to become the world's third-largest chipmaker. I believe troubled AMD is more likely to be desperate enough to welcome Tsinghua's money.
- 19 Nov 2015:Qualcomm says South Korea recommends fine for alleged antitrust violations (Nov 18) - Wall Street JournalQualcomm faces new antitrust charges in South Korea that focus on a foundation of the chipmaker's lucrative patent-licensing business.
- US chipmakers are cutting back "sharply" on spending, according to fresh analysis from Citigroup. Spending by semiconductor companies is expected to fall 19.8% this year from 2014, when it dropped a modest 0.9%.
- 15 Nov 2015:Artificial intelligence is the next big frontier in technology.
- 12 Nov 2015:So far this year, chip companies have announced $100.6 billion in mergers and acquisitions, according to Dealogic, exceeding the $37.7 billion total for all of 2014.
- 8 Nov 2015:In May, at a San Francisco talk to mark the 50th anniversary of Moore's Law, Intel co-founder Gordon Moore said he was surprised chipmakers have kept it going for so long. Two months later, Intel Chief Executive Officer Brian Krzanich said on an earnings call that the pace is indeed slowing-doubling chip density now takes closer to two and a half years, rather than two.
- 6 Nov 2015:Infineon Technologies, Germany's largest chipmaker, is the front-runner to acquire Fairchild Semiconductor International because it's willing to pay more for the company, people with knowledge of the matter said.
- 5 Nov 2015:Qualcomm said Wednesday that its revenue and profits fell in both the fourth quarter and the year as it struggled to get Chinese customers to pay for licenses.
- 28 Oct 2015:Share on Facebook Share on Twitter STMicroelectronics is considering a bid for Fairchild Semiconductor International as Europe's largest chipmaker seeks to boost growth and shore up its digital products business, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 26 Oct 2015:In what may be another sign that Apple is getting serious about cars, the company has hired Jonathan Cohen, the director of deep learning for chip-maker Nvidia. Nvidia is best-known for its graphics products used for computer games, but it has recently been pushing into the world of autonomous vehicles.
- 14 Oct 2015:Cypress Semiconductor has withdrawn its offer for Atmel, the second failed attempt by the company to acquire a chipmaker this year.
- 5 Oct 2015:The chairman of China's Tsinghua Unigroup traveled to the United States this week to meet with board members of Micron Technology and try to revive a politically fraught takeover bid of the US chipmaker, people familiar with the matter said.
- 2 Oct 2015:PMC, which is based in Santa Clara, California, is being pitched to other semiconductor companies, rather than private-equity firms.
- 1 Oct 2015:China's analog chipmaker Montage Technology has offered to buy Pericom Semiconductor in a deal valued at about US$430 million, trumping an offer from Diodes earlier this month.
- Digitimes Research: Growing HMD devices stir up development of professional VR application market
- Digitimes Research: Korea memory-IC industry output value to increase 5% in 2Q16
- Even Systems to reveal latest product offerings at Computex 2016
- NVIDIA Pascal taking us one step closer to a VR world
- Conexant Introduces New Family of USB-C Audio CODECs, Redefines Possibilities for Audio Accessories
- Unisys IT Implementation of Unisys Stealth Solution for Data Center Segmentation
- AccuTouch Five Wire Resistive Touchscreens
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Perforce Software Wins Develop Industry Excellence Award for the Second Year in a Row
- Perforce Teams with Leading Git Client Developer fournova
- Perforce Introduces Helix GitSwarm: Flexible Git Ecosystem Mirrored to a Powerful Mainline Repository
- Perforce Helix Distributed Version Control System Brings Greater Flexibility While Maintaining Enterprise-class Security, Auditability and Control
- Perforce Powers Development of Legacy Quest for iOS and Android
- Digitimes Research: 4 million 9.7-inch iPad Pros to ship in 1H16
- Digitimes Research: Global all-in-one PC shipments to drop 3.9% on year in 2015
- Mentor Graphics Veloce VirtuaLAB adds protocols for networking designs
- Mouser Electronics undergoing expansion
- Digitimes Research: iPad Pro shipments to be less than 3 million units in 4Q15
The next wave of computing is now beginning to define the IT industry, where the boundaries of computing...
The launch of virtual reality headsets for the consumer market and the increasing demand for ultra...
Dassault Systemes, a European multinational software company that develops 3D design, 3D engineering,...
Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang has been outspoken with his predictions about future technologies and products,...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- LCD TV overview - Jun 2011
Growth of the global LCD TV market was not as strong as expected in 2010 as the market continued to feel the aftershocks of the economic recession that had hit...