- 3 Jul 2015:Tesla Motors' second-quarter sales jumped 52%, higher than the company had forecast, giving the Silicon Valley auto maker important momentum ahead of the debut of its Model X sport-utility later this year.
- Smartphone thieves suffered a setback Wednesday when new laws took effect requiring all smartphones sold in California to come with an opt-out "kill switch," which slashes the phone's value if stolen and resold on the black market.
- 2 Jul 2015:
- 1 Jul 2015:
- 30 Jun 2015:Shares of chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) are up 7 cents, or 3%, at $2.41, after PC and gaming gear enthusiast site KitGuru this afternoon said the company is attracting buyout interest from Microsoft.
- Hedge fund Jana Partners said in April Qualcomm should spin off the chip business from its patent-licensing business to improve shareholder value, calling the chip business "essentially worthless".
- Samsung Electronics recently signed a new SSD supply contract for its 256GB SSDs to be used in the laptops of major suppliers such as Apple and Microsoft.
- Nokia Android smartphones manufactured by Foxconn coming to India, China & Europe (Jun 29) - SoftpediaSources familiar with Nokia's plans claim the Finnish company will launch its first smartphones as early as 2016. They will be powered by Google's Android mobile platform and will be manufactured by Foxconn.
- Microsoft is shutting down its Web display advertising business and handing operations over to AOL and AppNexus, a person with knowledge of the matter said.
- 29 Jun 2015:Intel's Cannonlake, originally slated for 2016 and later 2017, is now on hold indefinitely. Instead, Intel's current processors - of the Skylake platform - will be succeeded by the less drastic Kaby Lake platform.
- Samsung has been accused of disabling Microsoft's software in preference for its own, leaving computers insecure.
- 26 Jun 2015:Micron Technology said it expects a further decline in prices of chips used in personal computers, and forecast revenue for the current quarter well below market estimates.
- 25 Jun 2015:Toshiba's chief executive fought back against shareholder calls for his resignation, promising an overhaul of a corporate culture that had overlooked accounting malpractices for years until they were revealed by a whistleblower.
- Pantech, which has been in court receivership since August last year, has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Seoul Central District Court's approval for a possible merger and acquisition with a consortium led by South Korean optical disc drive (ODD) manufacturer Optis on June 16.
- In select countries, users can now sign up for Messenger with a mobile telephone number
- Greater China, which includes Taiwan and Hong Kong, is now Apple's second-largest market and has become a battleground for the company as it vies with Samsung Electronics Co. and Xiaomi Corp. for smartphone supremacy.
- The Japanese company's Synergy Platform joins similar efforts by such vendors as Intel, ARM, Broadcom and MediaTek.
- Much attention is being paid to the possibility that Apple will adopt flexible screens on its future iPhone models, as major Korean display manufacturers are seeking to persuade the U.S.-based global IT giant to do it.
- 24 Jun 2015:
- Apple has renewed its exclusive rights to use Liquidmetal Technologies' unique metal alloys in its line of products, according to a document filed today with the SEC. The new agreement extends Apple's relationship with Liquidmetal Technologies until February 5, 2016.
- American chip manufacturers argue that, without the trade deal, they will be squeezed out of the growing Asian market for computer chips by competitors in countries like China.
- Two Chinese tech firms have clashed over a new wireless router with a special setting for pregnant women.
- Fitbit claims to currently own up to 68% of the market in fitness trackers . But Jawbone, Under Armour, Garmin, Google, Samsung , Microsoft and others are all jostling for a slice of the pie.
- 23 Jun 2015:The US International Trade Commission staff is recommending that Samsung Electronics and Qualcomm be cleared of patent-infringement accusations brought by Nvidia.
- ITU has established the overall roadmap for the development of 5G mobile and defined the term it will apply to it as "IMT-2020".
- Gigaset, a name normally associated with landline phones, is to enter the smartphone race.
- Applied Micro Circuits recently appointed hedge fund manager Christopher Zepf as one of its board of directors, which has led many to believe that perhaps the company might soon present itself for sale.
- Any split of AMD would result in two smaller companies, heavily interdependent, taking on larger, entrenched, and determined competitors.
- 18 Jun 2015:
- Etasis promotes new 350W 1U slim redundant power supply to market
- Flytech Technology exhibits new industrial panel PC series in 2015 ATX East Expo
- Seagate partners with QNAP to showcase high-speed thunderbolt NAS, virtualization solutions and new QTS 4.2 OS at Computex 2015
- Clientron reveals its brand new all-in-one POS terminal - Wing650
- ThroughTek to showcase partner solutions at Computex 2015
- Getting the Most Out Of Your Next Generation Digital Security Surveillance System
- Embracing the New Generation Intel Atom Family with DDR3 Memory Support
- Got The Message? Ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of content across a mission critical digital signage network
- Emb' Store On-Demand Software Service for Embedded Computing
- Efficient Network Management for Digital Signage
- Digitimes Research: Tablets with phone functionality from white-box players to suffer over 15% decline in 2Q15
- Digitimes Research: Intel 28nm SoFIA 4G AP delayed to early 2016; may face overlap issue with 14nm version
- Digitimes Research: White-box players pushing 10.1-inch Windows tablets
- Silicon providers main beneficiaries of enthusiast PC growth; opportunities exist for vendors to raise profits with innovative products, says HWinsights
- Digitimes Research: Microsoft to partner with Acer, Lenovo and Inventec for US$169-249 Windows 10 notebooks
- Zoom Storage looking to become media library for mobile device users
- AMD unveils sixth-generation A-series APUs for mobile products
- Computex 2015: Startup company Endless pushing PC for developing countries
- Computex 2015: Nvidia unveils GTX 980 Ti and G-Sync technology
- Computex 2015: BioLogic SportCase wins Design and Innovation Award
Taiwan notebook Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs) account for more than 90% of global notebook production and Digitimes is there to provide daily...
The Computex show will host from June 2-6 and will focus on three major topics: IoT, mobile applications and cloud computing technology.
The early success Google's Android platform has achieved in the handset market has caused system makers, software developers and semiconductor players...
Taiwan IT players have been aggressively establishing platform to help start-up companies to enter into the IT market.
Competition in the graphics card market has grown fierce as demand for graphics cards from the gaming...
Socionext, a Japan-based corporation focused on the design, development, and sales of system-on-chip...
Computex has evolved into one of the biggest and most important ICT trade shows in the world since...
Although the company has not been operating in the gaming notebook industry for long, Gigabyte Technology...
- Smartphone and tablet industry: The view from Taiwan - May 2012
Taiwan-based companies have a long and successful history of involvement in the supply chain for mobile devices, which for the purposes of this article consist...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - May 2012
The year 2011 saw the motherboard industry reverse its trend of declining shipments year-on-year, to post a slight 0.2% growth. This upturn in fortunes was expected...
- Notebook market overview - Jun 2011
The notebook industry in 2010 experienced several major events that significantly changed the industry's ecosystem for the year and the industry is also believed...
- Taiwan motherboard industry overview - Jun 2011
The motherboard industry began 2010 with optimism and expected to see a reversal of the previous two years' declines in revenues and shipments as the impact of...